Why become a member? ×

Pimp My Bass

DavidMcKay

[color=#282828]Considered a Warwick Corvette short scale active at £510 - even though I don't like the body shape - then thought "Hold it. Go with what you already like and make it better."

I happen to love the shape and look of the Cort Action Junior 30" short scale (reminds me of an Overwater from a distance), and at £156 from Amazon I had the foundation of a good instrument. I intend to take it to a good local luthier, but would appreciate some direction as to what I should be going for.

So - the question is "What would you do by way of improvements, pickups, strings, bridge and what not?"

What would you do to take this guitar to another level?

[url="http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/action-junior"]http://www.cortguita...t/action-junior[/url][/color]

[attachment=204747:Action-JuniorWS-hz.png]

[color=#282828]Cheers,

David[/color]

Edited by DavidMcKay

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1447103068' post='2904948']
New pickups and a John East preamp would be like adding a turbo charger - they would cost more than the bass though and it's unlikely that you'd ever recoup your money if you ever sold it. Sometimes upgrading doesn't make (financial) sense.
[/quote]

I know - but I am thinking about the end product and not the resale value. I don't have a king's ransom to spend on it, perhaps another £200.

I bought a second hand Jim Deacon short scale P bass, the older one with the fender shape headstock.

Put a Gotoh bridge on, KiOgon harness, [color=#333333] [/color][color=#333333]Entwistle PBXN Neodymium pups and now it's my main gigging bass. :D[/color]

[color=#333333]but in all honesty it wasn't a bad bass to begin with, and was certainly giggable without doing anything to it, I just wanted to mod[/color]

[color=#333333]Les[/color]

Serious answer is live with it for a little while and then make a judgement on what it needs. Getting the right strings and setup would be my first port of call, might need to try some different gauges to get the tension and compliance that you like, then start addressing any weaknesses after logging some practice and rehearsal time.

Guest bassman7755

With any mass produced bass the first thing you want to do is get the nut slots cut properly as they are pretty much universally cut way to high. Id replace the bridge too as I hate those fender style closed hole bridges, makes changing strings a right ball ache.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1447138468' post='2905102']
Still not sure about the pickup though.....
[/quote]

I'm currently using a Delano MC-4-FE and I can certainly recommend it if you like a nice punchy yet warm humbucker sound. It's the same ones that you get in the Sandberg Basic series I believe.

I have mine paired up with a Delano 2-band pre-amp which is also pretty nice. Silent transition between the active and passive modes is a real plus as it can be used as a big bass-booster/other tonal shift which is far more useful than I had imagined.