Why become a member? ×

What is the point of 200w amps

bonzodog

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1457144068' post='2995844']
I`ve recently bought a TC Electronic BH250 - ok, so it`s 50 watts above the rating in question, but still fairly low-powered in comparison to many of the other small Class D amps out there. Bought purely as a backup. However this eve we played a gig where I was providing the bass rig, and as we`re just embarking on a "gig every weekend tour" for our new album, I let the other bands use the BH250, keeping my regular Tonehammer for just me.

And the verdict - nice strong, loud little amp. The bands were going through FOH, but the main band set the volume at 10 o`clock, with all eq at noon, and the soundman asked the bassist to turn the master volume down. Plenty of power for on-stage, and to be honest enough for a regular venue as well.

So what`s the point of 200 watt amps - well they`re loud enough for regular venues, and if we`re talking the smaller Class D amps, portable enough to take in a bag on public transport of there`s a cab provided.

I should also add that the bands this eve were punk bands, so not exactly quiet, and the bassist in the headlining band, The Ramonas, well she hits quite hard and at no point did the amp sound like it was struggling.
[/quote]

I've been to-ing & fro-ing between between my Roland Cubebass 30 & my TCE BG250-208 as my practice amp. Had the CB30 for years, great little practice amp & at 30 watts loud enough for small gigs. Since being asked to join a jazz quintet I've found the 208 so convenient, small footprint, easy carry, built in tuner & just a tad louder than the Roland.

The BG250-208 is the only combo of that TCE family that has a speaker extension. So it's pushing about 125W without an extension cab. I tested it with my Ampeg B115E cab & the increase in loudness was huge. So much so that I'm thinking that the 208 with something like a Barefaced One 10 might be the perfect lightweight rig for the small & medium size venues I'm likely to play.

Edited by grandad

We tend to forget that the volume control is via a logarithmic pot so the perceived sound will increase linearly. I'm very fortunate that I play with a musical drummer - and with a Markbass cmd121h combo (which has been nicked out of my van in the last week - bastards!) I had volume set at 9 to 10 o'clock. I'm buying a traveller 121h cab and a little Mark 2 at 150W into 8 ohms to replace the beast and I reckon it will give me better resolution when setting my volume. Even at these levels I still wear ear plugs!

[quote name='Davetheglitz' timestamp='1457476223' post='2999010']
We tend to forget that the volume control is via a logarithmic pot so the perceived sound will increase linearly. I'm very fortunate that I play with a musical drummer - and with a Markbass cmd121h combo (which has been nicked out of my van in the last week - bastards!) I had volume set at 9 to 10 o'clock. I'm buying a traveller 121h cab and a little Mark 2 at 150W into 8 ohms to replace the beast and I reckon it will give me better resolution when setting my volume. Even at these levels I still wear ear plugs!
[/quote]

In line with the whole watts vs volume thing, I'm also struggling with the definition of a small pub gig as well. 250 Punters in a crowded room? I have a Markbass 250 Blackline into a 4ohm 102 traveller. Its very loud in this kind of situation paying rock covers

Edited by Nicko

• 2 years later...

Just reviving this thread as I used a TC Electronic BH250 last night (no longer got the one I wrote about previously). It was plugged in to some form of 610 cab, and again I was really impressed with the amount of sound available. I`m not that keen on bass in my monitors, so the BH250 was having to cover stage volume and on a pretty big stage I had the master volume on about 10 o`clock.OK I use my Para Driver for all my eq, but the volume available from that little amp was pretty impressive.