Why become a member? ×

Dave King ....Rational Funk

blamelouis

I don't really get it though, he doesn't seem to ever actually [i]teach[/i] anything. Is it just a vehicle for his very funny banter?!
The skit about doing a drum solo which ends in an hour and a half of singing 'the lion sleeps tonight' into the drum while the venue empties, was extremely funny.

Rational Funk is the perfect antidote to all the instructional guff floating around on YouTube, got tired of the 'running and gunning' stuff pretty soon though.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1446980585' post='2903840']
I don't really get it though, he doesn't seem to ever actually [i]teach[/i] anything. Is it just a vehicle for his very funny banter?!
[/quote]

If you're a drummer, then yes. At some point in almost every video he plays a groove or demonstrates a soloing concept that shows he's pretty handy on the kit.

What I enjoy about these are his brutally honest assessments of lots of things relating to the large amount of BS that musicians and the music industry produce - I loved the first minute or so of this...

[media]http://youtu.be/I99Bw7JOCdI[/media]

Edited by TKenrick

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1447191409' post='2905747']
Rational Funk is the perfect antidote to all the instructional guff floating around on YouTube, got tired of the 'running and gunning' stuff pretty soon though.

If you're a drummer, then yes. At some point in almost every video he plays a groove or demonstrates a soloing concept that shows he's pretty handy on the kit.

What I enjoy about these are his brutally honest assessments of lots of things relating to the large amount of BS that musicians and the music industry produce - I loved the first minute or so of this...

[media]http://youtu.be/I99Bw7JOCdI[/media]
[/quote]

Agree with you ....having watched instructional videos since the DCI days it's great to see the 0% content con being lampooned.
And it's a breath of fresh air to see BIG name players being so down to earth and having a laugh.