Why become a member? ×

The old "which Speakers" question

Stevo

Ok Guys, it's probably been done to death but I thought I'll ask...

I have a 4x10 cab that I have refurbished and want to put four new speakers in. The old ones really are... old... and knackered.

The cab does not have a head yet, but it's not going to be overly powerful, 150W ish. It probably won't be gigged either just as rather a loud practice amp. I've decided to learn bass at a ripe old age, having been in and out of bands most of my life. I've worked with guys who have gone through Trace Elliots, Hughes& Kettner & so forth so a 20W practice amy aint going to cut it!!

Anyways, back to the post. Yes I can replace with Eminence, spending around £200, and of course you get what you pay for.

Anyone care to recommend me 4 cheap (hopefully) 10" 50W drivers :)

Cheers, Steve

Guest bassman7755

I'd bin it and get an old 2nd hand peavey 4x10 - you would honestly be struggling to source 4 drivers for less that what it would cost you.

The choice will depend on how large your cab is and what porting (if any) it has. A cheap 10" that I can vouch for as sounding fine is the Faital 10FE200. It's not a heavy-duty driver, but with your modest needs that might be OK. The 4 ohm version is more suited to ported cabs and the 8 ohm version to sealed cabs.
But otherwise, it may indeed be better value to find a used 4x10 cab.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Guest bassman7755

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavy-410TX-Bass-Cabinet/301785852224?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140328180637%26meid%3D0734d49c77e04deeac243f76a931e5ba%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D181899919529"]http://www.ebay.co.u...%3D181899919529[/url]

Will most likely go for opening price.

Or if you wanted to push the boat out a bit ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-TVX-410-EX-8-ohm-Cab-/181899919529?hash=item2a5a1480a9:g:AScAAOSwT5tWGoUp

Edited by bassman7755

There's little point in spending £200 on speakers when you can get a used cab for £100. Everyone is giving you the advice I'd give you. Get a used Peavey, preferably one with the BW drivers in. Peavey bass cabs are great heavy things but sound pretty good and are really reliable and crazy value for money.

I've got an old 1x15 BXBW here removed from my rehearsal room, I'd happily sell for £75 if you want but there's loads out there. http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80300395.pdf carriage looks to be about £35 though

buy used unless you have an overwhelming desire to build something.

As above, ditch it and get a S\H cab thats got the right speakers in.

Cabs are designed to suit a particular driver (speaker) because each different type of driver has a different frequency response. Cabs are generally 'tuned' by adjusting the internal dimensions to even out the response. So, if you stick a different driver in, it probably won't work so well.

Spending £200 on some drivers, then finding it sounds boomy or muddy, or just wrong is a false economy when you can get a really good S/H Peavey or Trace Elliot cab for next to nothing these days.

If you have your heart set on ressurecting an old cab, then find out the internal dimensions and do a bit of research on the best driver to use in the cab - there's a variety of Apps and Programs around these days. WinISD (for PC), FaberAcoustical SpeakerDraft (iOS) for example. Using the internal volume and port dimensions of the cab coupled with the Thiele Small parameters of a driver will give you an indication of whether it's worth trying.
Or, for an easier option, if you know what the cab is, and you can get the same drivers it originally had - go for those.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446722013' post='2901695']
If this cab is only going to be used for practice, how about putting 2 new speakers in and either disconnecting the other 2 or removing them and having two very large ports.
[/quote]

Leaving two gaping holes in the cab is probably not a good idea, best to cover them.

Ok - Just to finish off... Thanks for the advice - After writing this I picked up upon a Warwick 4x10, mint condition.... £140. Well happy!

I guess buying 4 drivers at £85/100 each was a no-no... However a 1x15 cab with a replacemnet driver is more economic of course, shoud I wish to go that way!!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Stevo' timestamp='1446912763' post='2903461']
Ok - Just to finish off... Thanks for the advice - After writing this I picked up upon a Warwick 4x10, mint condition.... £140. Well happy!
[/quote]

Nice one.