Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do I need grain filler...

cameltoe

That depends on the species of wood you are using. If Ash, Mahogany or anything else with coarse grain then yes. If Alder, Maple or Cherry then no grain filler will be required. The list of species above which [b]does[/b] require a filler is far from complete, but there are very few species that do not require a filler other than those mentioned....Ebony and Pear would be two others but I doubt you're using either of those for a body blank :).

It's also possible to fill the grain using multiple coats of sanding sealer, or the lacquer itself however this is much harder work than simply using a grain filler as you have to sand back every few coats or you'll just create deep craters where the grain is. Again this would also take a lot of coats and a lot of sanding, so is not really advisable.

What Manton Customs said :lol:

Of course it all depends on the finish you're aiming for. If you want the classic "mirror" high gloss finish - sealing all the pores is essential.
One of the most efficient ways of doing this is with a filler - but depending on the finishing technique there are a few ways I've seen turn out lovely (but haven't tried myself). Using Danish Oil and sandpaper to create a grain filling slurry for example - or using clear epoxy to fill large pores before sanding flat and finishing as normal.
If you're going for a solid colour I'd just go for a high fill primer if it's fairly tight grained - use filler if it's got some unevenness or large pores. . .