Why become a member? ×

Feedback issues with Hofner bass.

Whitehoose

Hi all, haven't posted on here for quite a long time, I have a slight issue and wanting some opinions on such. Also hope this is the right category for the post.

Earlier this year I came into possession of a Hofner Galaxie 185 bass, got it in mint condition second hand for 150. It is an amazing bass and promptly replaced my Jazz copy as main bass.

The problem I have is I like using distortion a lot (I enjoy quite trashy, glassy, growly sounds) and I get a huge amount of feedback even when facing away from the rig... I didn't have this problem with my jazz copy, which allowed me to turn around for deliberate feedback. I also find this quite strange to say that in my logic... the single coils on the jazz should be noisier than the (if unmistake) twin coils on the Hofner....

So should I maybe try different dist/od pedals? Pickups? EQ pedal? Shielding? Anything else?

Any opinions are very much appreciated :)

I've tried to find the specs of the Hofner Black pickups but not had much luck in finding any, however I have considered replacing the pickups for a more distinct tone anyway so will have to see, i was thinking shielding but on clean there's no interference at all... so not sure if shielding is worth it.

My Hofner Verithin will do feedback at the drop of a hat when playing loud

You have three options

1) Careful muting of the strings with your fingers

2) I have found you can notch out troublesome frequencies with EQ to minimise the feedback

3) Go with it and use the feedback for a drone note (which I used to do a lot with one of my old bands) :)

There's two sorts of feedback, as a rule - 'nice' ringing, singing feedback (what I guess cybertect is describing) and 'nasty' electric squealling.

I suspect that it's the squeally sort you're getting with the Hofner....it's most likely microphonic pickups - you could replace them or pot them in wax.