Why become a member? ×

SQUIER P BASS SPECIAL

marcus bell

I know someone who does and has gone to the expense of fitting LED's. I asked him why he chose to play a Squier and this was his reply

[quote]Hi Mark
Over the years I have owned a genuine American P Bass Delux and a 5 string American Jazz Delux, both retailing at over £1k each. Niether of them compare to my Squire Standard series. I was looking for "The Bass Of Rock" and noticed that Squire issued a special series of P Basses with the black coloured headstocks. I, like you, was always a bit wary of Squires, but I was drawn to the jazz type thickness of the neck. (I have only short stubby fingers).
What sets this baby asside from the usual Squires is the extra pick up towards the bridge. I can get the 'clank' and the 'thump' I like from using these two pick ups full on.
The guitar only cost £250 so I had a choice of customising my P-Delux or the Squire. Although the Delux had the active cicuitry in it, for shear playabillity and intonation I chose to customise the squire at twice the cost of the actual guitar. I know I'll never make that money on a re-sale, so you can see it was a 'big' decision to make.

When your browsing for a Squire check that it has 'Precision Standard Series' on the headstock. I have since brought the 5 string version of the Standard Series and this too has sent it's American brother to that auction site in the sky.

Nice to hear from you

Rick[/quote]

i had the black and chrome, which is the special but... errr... black and chrome.

twas a good bass, made even better after i put a set of duncan quarter pounders in it (not that there was anything wrong with the standard pickups). if you're thinking of getting one don't be put off by the fact its a squier, we have a MIM precision and its as good as (or better even) than the mexican. not quite on par with the japanese fenders though.

I've had one for about ten years, it was my first bass, and I still love it now. It's currently in a couple of pieces getting a rebuild, but I can see it getting gigged alongside my 'proper' basses, and not feeling out of place. Great bass for the money, and a good starting point to mod from too!