Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Pangborn Chieftan (P-Style Bass) *SOLD*

Gwilym

Serviced (£80 incl new set of Elite strings) by Chris as the Bass Centre a couple of weeks ago, and the electronics are working perfectly.

Schaller machine heads, Schaller bridge and Schaller Pickup. Active electronics with: Vol, Treble, Bass and what Chris said was a series/parallel switch for the pickup. It comes with a well solid wooden case that came with the bass when my mate bought it direct from Ashley Pangborn back in the 80's.

Condition is pretty good for it's age, and it sounds pretty damn good to me. A P-bass on steroids is probably quite a good description.

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/Gwilym/Pangborn/928e687a.jpg"][/url]

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/Gwilym/Pangborn/072305f4.jpg"][/url]

Edited by Gwilym

[quote name='Chris2112' post='29717' date='Jul 10 2007, 01:07 PM']Wow, never thought I'd see a Pangborn being sold myself! I wasn't aware he made any other models apart from the Warlord series. Very nice, it does have a bit of a Wal vibe going on![/quote]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

right chaps - I'm selling this on behalf of a friend. it's been at the Gallery now for some time, and not shifting. probably because the price is too high at £500 - i guess it's difficult to price these things! :)

i had a beer with my mate on Friday and after talking to him about it, here's the deal: if we take the %15 commission off a £500 sale, it would mean around £425 going to my mate.

So, £425 is the maximum he will accept, and for the sake of complying with the rules, let's say that £425 is the selling price.

However, [b]if anyone is interested, then please make an offer[/b] and I will pass it on, he wants to sell this - so I imagine that [b]any reasonable offer will not be refused[/b].

Also,[b] if anyone has a view on the valuation on this bass, feel free to post it on here[/b].

Thanks
G

Edited by Gwilym

bump
there's not a great deal of info around on Pangborn basses. They were built by Ashley Pangborn in the UK, and there's a bit of info here:

[url="http://wikibin.org/articles/ashley-pangborn.html"]http://wikibin.org/articles/ashley-pangborn.html[/url]

From that wiki page I'm unsure if this bass is a Warrior or a Chieftan, but I'm pretty certain that I read on a (now defunct website) that this bass is indeed a Cheiftan, and that wiki may be incorrect. Regardless, it's safe to say that this bass is the Precisioin style Pangborn bass, rather than the Alembic styled thru-neck bass! :)

I had a query via PM, which I though I'd add here, and my subseqent response, so I was asked:

[quote]Have you played this bass? If so, what's the neck like? What's your honest opinion about the playability of it? How heavy is it? Is the back sculpted or flat? What do you mean by P "on steroids"? (I've heard others use the term when referring to jazzes and don't have a clue what that means, either! smile.gif ) What strings are on it-flats/rounds?[/quote]

to which I replied
[quote]Yes I've played the bass, but it's been at the Gallery on comission sale for a couple of years at least, so I haven't played it for that long at least. So, basically, I can't remember the detail - I don't think the neck was like a tree trunk or anything, but I couldn't give you an opinion on whether it was more P or J.
Not sure by what you mean by "scuplted" but there is a "forearm" chamfer at the top of the body, like many basses have. It's not that apparent on my pictures, but if you go to the Gallery web site, you can see it better on the pictures there.
I think that generally by "on steroids" people mean the extra "oomph" given by the active electronics. Thats what I mean by it anyway, and thats my understanding of it.
The strings were rounds.
Pangborn basses were made by Ashley Pangborn in the '80's. Hand made in the UK. There is some info on him if you spend some time on Google. I won't include any of that here, but I'll try to post some addtional info on my for sale thread.
Hopefully I've answered all your questions, if not then feel free to get back to me.[/quote]

just reading this, i relalised i didn't answer the queries about weight and playability. I've no idea what the weight is I'm afraid, and as i remember it played quite well, and sounded very nice.

Best bet is if anyone is interested, and wants to try this, is to head to the Gallery and try it. I don't have time or the inclination to post this either, or deal with tyre-kickers. This bass is what it is, and would be a great bass for someone out there. If you're serious, I can deal, but not quickly. Am busy with work and will be away for a few weeks. (note to self, don't start pushing a sale just before going on holiday - will remember that for next time:) )

Did anyone notice I didn't put OVNO or even ONO or next to the asking price?!! :rolleyes:

thanks
G

ps apologies for the rambling post, just been down the pub!