Why become a member? ×

The 'burbs (W and NW)

Nicko

The Members sang "This is the Sound of the Suburbs". Frankly I'm struggling to see much Sound going on in London Suburbs.

Where's it happening in West and NW outer London? I'm thinking say outside the North circ, but inside the M25.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1439900321' post='2846588']
The Members sang "This is the Sound of the Suburbs". Frankly I'm struggling to see much Sound going on in London Suburbs.
[/quote]

[quote='The Members']Every lousy Monday morning
Heathrow jets go crashing over our home
Ten o'clock Broadmoor siren
Driving me mad, won't leave me alone

Saturday morning family shoppers
Crowding out the centre of town
Young blokes sitting on the benches
Shouting at the young girls walking around
Johnny stands there at his window looking at the night
I said, "Hey, what you listening to? There's nothing there"
That's right!

This is the sound of the suburbs[/quote]

Um. How much has changed since 1979? ;)

Edited by cybertect

Musically, really very little. If there's a dozen decent music pubs in the area described I'd be surprised.

I think you're down to one pub in Harrow, a couple in (North) Greenford, maybe one in Ruislip, not sure about Uxbridge - there used to be several but precious little left now. That's the A40 done.

The M4 corridor is not much better. A couple of pubs in Brentford & Isleworth, a couple in Hounslow, and a couple in Hayes.

The only area where music pubs seem relatively healthy still is the triangle below Heathrow stretching down to the A316.

It's not great. I'm sure things improve once you get outside the M25 though.

As someone born and bred in west London , It used to have a reasonable scene when i nas growing up ( 90's through to about 01)
the area has taken a bit of a downturn since then , places like Ealing , Hounslow and Isleworth used to have some decent ( I use the term loosely ) music pubs such as the Rifleman , there was even a decent enough metal club . Many of these have now closed and two I mention are now a Lebanese restaurant and a polish expat pub .

I'd say that the more more south you go basically anywhere at an below Twickenham / Richmond the music scene gets better .
Not sure why there is such a decide but I have a crackpot theory.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1439917790' post='2846777']
Musically, really very little. If there's a dozen decent music pubs in the area described I'd be surprised.

I think you're down to one pub in Harrow, a couple in (North) Greenford, maybe one in Ruislip, not sure about Uxbridge - there used to be several but precious little left now. That's the A40 done.

The M4 corridor is not much better. A couple of pubs in Brentford & Isleworth, a couple in Hounslow, and a couple in Hayes.

The only area where music pubs seem relatively healthy still is the triangle below Heathrow stretching down to the A316.

It's not great. I'm sure things improve once you get outside the M25 though.
[/quote]

I'm just outside Harrow, around my manor we have
Harrow has O'Neills which is trying to build up a live scene, and The Junction which is trying but has no budget - pay for free only, and Trinity which I think has occasional live bands.
The Queens head in Pinner has a live act on one Sunday each month (late afternoon/early evening) Normally played by one of the bar staffs brothers' band.
Ruislip - I only know of The Middlesex Arms which has a open band night and The Black Horse in Eastcote.
Not aware of the one you mention in Greenford.
The Blues bar in West Drayton has open band on Sunday, not sure if the have regular bands playing a full set though.

And that's It as far as I know. Can you expand on the venues between H'row and the Chertsey Road - I'm in need of live music to listen to. Admiral Nelson - Obviously from the recent thread. Does the Airman still do stuff - anywhere else?

Edited by Nicko