Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS 104HF... noisy tweeter anyone?

Greg.Bassman

Hi all. Calling all Markbass users, past and present... hoped you could clear something for me please?

My Markbass LM3 + 104HF (4Ohm) arrived earlier this week. First impressions have been good (very light indeed!); plenty of tonal options for such a small head!

Now, my only issue is with the 104HF tweeter; it sounds considerably noisier (hissy) than any other brand of cab that I have owned previously. Even without a bass plugged in and the tweeter level set to zero, it can be heard. Is this common with the 104HF's, or a dodgy tweeter perhaps?

I'm using a passive jazz with NO pedals. Rolling of the tweeter control off has no effect; only when I turn the VLE up full (or at least past 10 o'clock) on my LM3. It's not overbearingly loud, but noticeable to me- especially when I have it idle in my living room.

I used it in rehearsal for the first time this week and everyone was pleased with its performance and sound. Is this something that I'm simply going to have to learn to live with, or is this a genuine technical fault?

I'd be very surprised if it is a technical issue; I understand that Markbass are known for build quality. Both items came with a signed tag from their 'Constant Quality' system. However (as we all know), glitches DO happen.

What you guys reckon? Cheers Greg.

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1439134047' post='2840278']
Even without a bass plugged in and the tweeter level set to zero, it can be heard.
Rolling of the tweeter control off has no effect;
[/quote]Assuming it uses a standard LPad that probably indicates that the LPad is bad or that the ground lead that should be connected to the LPad isn't.

Gotcha, cheers Bill. Not sure mate; I have been reading a couple of reviews on the internet that address this problem in one way or another- maybe it's just the nature of the cab... (curiouser and curiouser).

Anybody else out there that can chip in here?

Edited by Greg.Bassman

The MarkBass cabs with piezo tweeters get a lot of criticism for being hissy, though I've not heard that of the horn loaded ones before. I have a 102P which is a little bit hissy with the LPAD turned up, but I always have it turned right off and I can confirm there's no hiss like that, so your situation does sound a bit like you have a fault.

I've been in a similar position before, with a relatively minor niggle with a different speaker cab, and being such a bulky and heavy item I was loathe to go through the hassle of returning it. If I were in the same situation again, though, I would return it, as it still niggles me on occasion now.