Why become a member? ×

STRING SPACING... help please.

Greg.Bassman

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1438761448' post='2836912']
And having owned several basses fitted with the Schaller 3D bridge, I can confidently say that the saddles do not move when the strings are changed. The wheel mechanism is sufficiently stiff to prevent this.
[/quote]
Good to know, your experience has increased my confidence

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1438769865' post='2837021']
Haven't you ever changed the bridge spacing on a bass?
It is noticeable, the bass is playable, and it's beautiful. We're talking small changes, but noticeable small changes.
Take my 75RI Jazz bass. There is a LOT of space between the edge and the 1st and 4th strings. Using the Fender threaded saddles I widened the spacing at the bridge to just over 20mm-ish. [/quote]
Exactly!

Just about every bass I own or have owned has/had 19 mm spacing. Even the 5 stringers. My Stingray 5 is 17 though (I think) and my 64 P with a C-neck is a bit more than 19.

I find the SR5 fine for fingerstyle playing but a bit too tight for slapping. And strangely, I can't cope with the 64 for linger periods of time even though my 5 string 19 mm have even wider necks. The only explanation I can think of is the wider string spacing... To me, 19 mm is ideal for both 4 and 5 strikg basses. Haven't tried an 18 mm, though. That might be a good compromise...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1438672597' post='2836201']
I had a corvette fiver once that was seriously tight... sounded great (as have all Warwicks I've tried) but was way too tight for my agricultural technique :blink:
[/quote]

Ditto :) it had to go in the end, replaced with 4 stringer.

just gone for a 5 string and the difference in spacing is very noticeable, my SR500 4 string is 19mm and my SR1805 is 16.5mm, taking a bit of getting used too but its not too bad, certainly nowhere near as difficult as i expected, i do trip over my fingers sometimes and miss strings as they arent where my brain expects them to be but i can get through our sets without too many tears