Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 2012 Series

Lozz196

A short review of my new black/maple Fender Precision. I got it from Germany, was an ex-demo model, advertised as a 2012 with the Custom Shop pickups, at approx £850. Anyway, when I get it, turns out to be a 2015. Result, inc shippng, less than £900 for a 2015 US Standard Precision, with all the cellofane still on it, Fender hardcase and full case candy.

Anyway, onto the bass itself. Out of the case the set-up was great. Played like a dream, although I noticed my fretting hand was aching a bit as the neck is a good deal chunkier than my old 78 Precision. Fast forward a couple of weeks and the ache has now gone, so have gotten used to it. And boy am I glad I got this bass.

Soundwise it just seems more full and complete across the tonal spectrum than any other Precision I`ve had. As mentioned the set-up was great. I really liked the stock Fender nickel rounds up until using them with my band, when I soon found that they were too warm sounding for what I need. So a fresh set of Roto steel rounds, an eighth of a turn on the truss rod due to the extra tension of these, and now she sings.

Build quality is amazing, can`t be faulted. Weight is 9.1lbs - a nice weight imo. I can`t deal with the 10+ pounders anymore, but anything under 8.5lbs and I start to feel like I`m playing a toy. This just feels right.

I should finish this review by stating that this purchase is all Spongebobs fault - he put a soundclip up of his 2014 Precision and I thought it was the nicest recorded Precision tone I`d heard in ages, so thanks SB, nearly a grand worse off in pocket, but happy to be that!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1438238912' post='2832709']
Sounds like you have a good one there Lozz.

I guess this is a stoopid question, but will this see an end to the buying? :lol:

I didn't mean to but I just went and bought another 75P :blink:
[/quote]

I do hope this means an end to it Gary - one more incoming, but this is a direct trade, so hopefully all will stay as it is from now on. I can`t see me bettering this Precision though. The new 75 sounds good, what colour scheme is this one?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1438289390' post='2833379']
Just seen it - very nice.
[/quote]

Thanks Lozz. I'm sure you'll know what I mean when I say, it's one of those basses that I find difficult to walk past without wanting to stop and play. :)

Anyway, enough hijacking of your thread.