Why become a member? ×

Zoom H6N

Si600

I bought one a few months ago, when I became convinced that I'd lost my H4N (which of course turned up a few days later). The screen is better and the menu a bit more 'thought out'. The battery life also seems significantly longer. I'm not noticing a big difference in sound quality, although I'd imagine it's easier to get a good quality rehearsal recording with 6 tracks at once.

If you've already got the H4N, I'm not sure the H6 is significantly better to justify buying it as a replacement, but if you have neither, I'd say it's a bit more versatile and worth getting if you'd like 6 individual tracks.

No it doesn't

I record with 4 tracks every rehearsal.

They are two stereo pairs in that you set level on the internal mics as a pair and the external mics as a pair. But recording at 24 bit means that pretty irrelevant for the external mics, I separate the stereo wav and treat them independently if that is needed.

Results are frankly top drawer...

One thing I forgot to mention. Although the 6 is only slightly bigger when assembled, because it comes with different mic attachments, the case is more than twice the size. The 4 is a lot more portable (and easier to lose ;) ) as it's one complete item that has a case only slightly larger than itself.

What attachments does it come with? I got the impression from the Zoom website that there were lots of cost options, but it only had the XY head fitted.

I want to use it for recording rehearsals and if we're ever lucky/stupid enough a gig. An H6 seems a bit overkill for that with all the inputs and options.

Edited by Si600

There are two mics with the 6. The XY and a mid-side capsule. There's also a foam mic cover that has its own space in the case. I'll put a photo up later to illustrate.

If you just want reasonably good rehearsal recordings, I think the 4n would probably do you, unless you are prepared to mic each instrument separately. I used to use the XY to pick up the instruments that could project well in the room (guitars, bass, drums) and run a feed from the desk into the other two inputs for keys and vocals (just to give a little extra clarity).

I use my 4n internak mics as a drum OH, and use a pair of Line Audio CM3s in the room as a stereo pair.

In the mix down there is not much of the OH, I get amazing results because the CM3 is a very very wide cardio and the band are broadly arranged in a circle

Mic placement is critical as are room levels.