Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Shergold Marathon Mk 1A, 1979 *£375 Posted*
£375

discreet

[b]*SOLD* Shergold Marathon Mk 1A, 1979 *£375 Posted*[/b]

[url="http://www.mediafire.com/view/og8x13gr0efc8ov/Funk%20in%20Gm%20CLIP.wav"][b]This is what it SOUNDS like...[/b][/url]

Very reluctant sale. The bass cost me £420. I'm looking for [b]£375 Posted.[/b] Payment via bank transfer, please. Bass will be very well packed and the buyer will be sent an ETA and tracking information. My feedback is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/263574-discreet/page__hl__discreet"]here[/url]. Now read on...

This is a Shergold Marathon Mk1A Bass, which according to the serial number was made in 1979. It is in truly remarkable condition for a thirty-six-year-old instrument and the only real indication of the passing years is due to that which is universally known as 'The Shergold Peel' - characteristic lateral checking of the finish over time. THE BASS IS 100% STOCK AND ORIGINAL - I ALSO HAVE THE BLACK PERSPEX BRIDGE COVER (not pictured) which I will include, of course. it is strung with Roto RB45 rounds.

The bass weights EIGHT POUNDS. It looks chunky but it is in fact very, very light indeed. :)

There are a couple of very minimal dings, a small amount of scuffing, a few scratches and one 7mm-sized hole in the finish down to the wood on the back lower edge of the body. It's stable. The frets show little wear, the hardware is in excellent condition and in my opinion this bass hasn't been played much over the years.

The maple-with-maple fingerboard neck (34" scale) features a zero fret and is bound in black. It's straight, a doddle to adjust and very easy to play, though a committed Jazz Bass player probably wouldn't get on with the neck profile or width - but if you're a P man you would really love one of these. The sound is very chunky and comes in somewhere between a super pumped-up P Bass and an early Ric. Hefty, twangy, funky, bouncy, rocky... it's all in there... ;)

Where else can you buy a genuinely hand-crafted, late-seventies vintage bass of this quality for hundreds instead of thousands of pounds? You can't, that's where. :D If these were produced today to the same standard they would be prohibitively expensive. So if you're into the vintage vibe, yet want a proper player's bass that is totally unique and sounds amazing, but don't have the funds or the inclination to opt for the usual suspects, then you know what to do. :)

I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet