Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz valve overdrive

72deluxe

Hello all!

I have a Genz Benz STLMax 9.2 that I run a BBE BMax-T into (love mild BBE processing and their "compressor" aka a slow attack limiter). There are two channels on the GB, a FET channel and a valve channel. When I dig in I can the overload OL LED to light up on the valve channel (and it also does the FET channel as they are wired in parallel).

According to the manual (and common knowledge) I should turn down the input gain at this point and it is alright for this to flash occasionally but I am looking to get some rasp from the valve preamp; I already have the high gain switch enabled but am not getting enough dirt - is running in the OL continually safe or do I need to invest in an overdrive pedal like an Aguilar Agro???

Or has anyone changed the valves for better fuzzzzz? I have the stock valve in it.

Thanks
Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I did indeed get well into the "overdrive" raspy stage and it sounded like a bag of smashed glass being dragged over a gravely drive so I had to turn the gain down. Looks like I was worrying for nothing!
Plenty of dirt/grit available. This of course means that I can now stop thinking about buying an Aguilar Agro pedal as the Genz is producing enough filth by itself.

Thanks for the reassurance though.

Edited by 72deluxe

I had the 12.2 max and the OD from the extra gain in the tube channel was excellent without worrying about hitting it too hard.
I'd suggest that unless you are running the red light constantly you are ok.

Why buy an expensive amp to put a cheaper pedal in front of it ?

• 5 weeks later...

It was more the tonal qualities of the BBE process that I use marginally, plus its "compressor" (a slow release limiter, not a compressor at all!). I then use the two channels on the Genz for the overdrive (valve channel) or FET; in truth I use the valve channel more.

The Genz is there because it's a reliable and lightweight amp and drives into 8 ohms loud, unlike my previous amp.
Plus, it has blue LEDs on it.....