Why become a member? ×

Drum Machines?

operative451

Hey all when I first started out on bass I used a metronome but found it was a bit dry then I got hold of a korg pandora mini great for on the move or jamming with mates also has some good amp simulation effects but looking towards the SR 16 or the SR 18 would like to see a review on the boss beatbuddy as with the alesis it has a good drum fill operated by foot which is awesome for counting in or a bass fill roland have some great drum machines to :-)

I'm another drum machine user. I tried Hydrogen, but it was just too much faff for what I wanted. I like to be able to pick a style, set the tempo, and off you go. I used an SR16 for years and now have an SR18 (£110 from Cash Converters online) - the backlit display is a boon!

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1437326765' post='2825101']
My SR16 arrived! Very happy with it, it does exactly what i want - beats to play along to, with 'standard' patterns for various styles and no added faffing required!

[attachment=196701:11755084_727702567358004_3113662547481107247_n.jpg]
[/quote]

Result! Enjoy :)

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1436287047' post='2816768']
If you want a hardware unit, then the Alesis SR-16 is an excellent bet. It was in production for an astonishing 13 years, and is readily available second hand. Cheaper still is the little Boss DR-550, which is slightly less featured than the Alesis but even simpler to program (I personally prefer the sounds on the Boss as well).
[/quote]

+ one million!!! This unit is absolutely still regarded as one of the best , if not the best units in the business. Been around for aeons but still can't be beaten partly due to the fact that it's real drum sounds that are used. It's got touch sensitive pads and can be programmed or just played along with via the multitude of pre sets. We used an SR16 for years back in the 90's and you can pick them up cheap nowadays Cannot recommend it enough!

Edited by ubit

Just another +1 for Hydrogen here - started using it this month and its utterly simple to program (I can get a good drum track sorted in seconds for basic practice, and a mere few mins for more complex stuff). Very very good program and free too - certainly worth checking out before paying for something.