Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror bass 500 vs Genz Benz shuttle 6 volume question.

Dandelion

Would there be much difference in volume between the two?

My Shuttle is clear and articulate, but I would be prepared to sacrifice that for loudness at the moment.

My current band has no place for hi-fi but extra volume would be handy.

I use a Markbass 104HF cab if that has any relevance.

Cheers.

Edited by Dandelion

Going simply by what i've been reading here i would say that the TB500 will in fact be louder than the STL6.0. I have the STL9.2 and though it says it has 900W the reality is that it only has a 500W power amp inside (the same as the Aguilar TH500) so i would guess that the stated 600W from the 6.0 will also be overated and more close to 300-350W (like the TH350).

Take your amp to a shop who has a TB500 in stock and try them side by side. I bet you'll have more power on the TB but you'll also get more grunt, it won't be as clean as the GB.

I went the oposite way from you. I had a Mesa Walkabout a few years ago and sacrificed it's beautifull (clean) tone and went for the 9.2 because i couldn't get to the volume i needed without having the valves distorting the sound.

Dandelion, I don't have experience of using a GB Shuttle, but I can vouch for the volume capabilities of the TB 500. I run one with a Barefaced Compact (so 500w into 8 ohms) and the combination is plenty loud enough at pub volumes. Our drummer has a heavy hand, but I've never got anywhere near half volume (and there's some nice grit which can be dialled in from the valve preamp)