Why become a member? ×

Looking for advice on a good quality gig-worthy power supply / brick

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I'm just starting to build my pedal board (right now just a compressor and fuzz pedal) and I'm wondering if you could point me in the direction of a reliable and good quality power-supply / power-brick that I could use for gigging. I've looked around and there seem to be loads of different ones out there, and I'm just not sure which might be good?

Many thanks

James

I think the best option is the [url="http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/Power.html"]gigrig power system[/url], though it is a bit pricey. I have one powering my board. A cheaper option i would go for would be a gigrig issolator with a 1spot (or similar). This way you still isolate your pedals and have the ability to upgrade to the gigrig generator if you outgrow the 1spot. You can forgo the distributor as its basically just a daisy chain (just a little neater/ more expensive).

Edited by elephantgrey

Whilst the gigrig is great I think as power supply for two basic pedals it's a bit over the top. Even if you add in a couple more pedals (tuner, chorus etc) you're still in regular power supply territory.

Thomanns own harley benton powerplant Junior. Ideal for use with 5 average powered pedals. Isolated inputs, and its pretty small. £30 quid will get you it. If you venture into digital pedals (with high power consumption) then it may struggle (like mine did), but enopugh juice for your normal analogue pedals.

**disclaimer** apologies for any badly used technical jargon in this post... I've no idea how the whole power consumption thing works, I just know that it comes in mA's and aslong as the pedal uses less than what the power block thing gives then its all good!

Thanks for all the replies folks!

These all look like good options. Given my pretty limited budget right now I think the Thomman might be a good option to start with. Five pedals is pretty much my aim as I would quite like a good tuner, a chorus and an octave in addition to the fuzz and compressor. I doubt I am going to go beyond that any time soon - the music I play is not very effect heavy, but its nice to have a few options to thicken up the tone now and then.

all of the suggestions are really appreciated

best wishes

James

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1435958794' post='2814073']
Whilst the gigrig is great I think as power supply for two basic pedals it's a bit over the top. Even if you add in a couple more pedals (tuner, chorus etc) you're still in regular power supply territory.
[/quote]

yeah, but if you have 2 youll find a 3rd. Then you may as well fill you mini board out with 5/6 Then there is just that one more pedal you need, so you upgrade to a bigger board...

I started with just a tuner, relying on just my bass for my tone, and now im working on adding a gameboy to my board so that i can trigger notes off it with my bass.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1435960654' post='2814088']
yeah, but if you have 2 youll find a 3rd. Then you may as well fill you mini board out with 5/6 Then there is just that one more pedal you need, so you upgrade to a bigger board...

I started with just a tuner, relying on just my bass for my tone, and now im working on adding a gameboy to my board so that i can trigger notes off it with my bass.
[/quote]

he speaks the truth.... its more addictive (and more expensive) than crack!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1435959139' post='2814077']
Thomanns own harley benton powerplant Junior. Ideal for use with 5 average powered pedals. Isolated inputs, and its pretty small. £30 quid will get you it. If you venture into digital pedals (with high power consumption) then it may struggle (like mine did), but enopugh juice for your normal analogue pedals.
[/quote] This^^^. Make sure you get the "junior" version though, the bigger one doesn't have isolated outputs as far as I know.