Why become a member? ×

My Sterling SUB Ray 4

Funky Dunky

Gone back to Thomann to have the preamp fixed.

Can't decide whether to keep it and pay for a decent set up or sell it and get a Jazz bass. I'm definitely leaning toward the latter, but I feel like I haven't given it a fair crack of the whip. That said, it'll still need at least a hundred quid to get it right (cost of a set up plus a Stinger preamp). I could lower the pickup and see if that helps the farting (when you boost the bass it's horrific - apparently not all SUB Rays do it, but the ones that do should be fixed free of charge - this is unacceptable!) But I would still need to shell out on a set up.

Wonder what the turnaround will be on the repair from Thomann. Anybody had a bass repaired by them?

Hope you get the preamp sorted but don't be afraid of learning how to do a set-up yourself - it's really quite straightforward. The bass should come with tools (hex keys) to adjust the truss rod and the saddles you then need (ideally) a steel rule with at least 32nds of an inch markings (64th is better) and/or millimetres. I tend to favour the Fender recommendations and it takes less than half an hour for me to get everything dialled in. http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/

Our John (Kiogon) made this for me:

Your sub wiring is MusicMan Passive, 2 volumes + tone, CTS Premium 250K Audio Log pots .047uF cap. with a "Jimmy Lloyd Rea signature 4 string MM bassbucker" from Warman.
MM 4 string bass humbucker 13.2k 4 wire overwound pick up

It now sounds absolutely great now. I'll have to sell it though as it's too heavy these days.