Why become a member? ×

TRADED: Translucent blueburst Musicman Stingray

magee

Edit 1/10.08:
This has now been traded for Steve's lovely Black Precision. Which means I might be selling a v63 Rickenbacker shortly if anyone's interested. Ah, the big bass shuffle, it's very complicated.
____

Hello,
I'm looking to move on my lovely 1989 Stingray. It's a translucent blueburst wiith a rosewood fingerboard and that powerful trademark Stingray sound.
I've owned this since new. The serial indicates it's 1989 but I bought it new in about 1991 from Sound Control in Dunfermline, so it must have been lying in the store room for a couple of years. It's had some gigging in that time, but also quite a few years resting in its case.
It's in excellent condition, but not mint - there are a couple of nicks to the lacquer and some wear on the back, but nothing through to the wood, plus a small bit of strapwear that is through to the wood [see pics] - just what you'd expect from normal use. I've tried to get close up body pics but any marks are really too small for the camera to pick up.
I know this is a less than optimal time to be selling a 'ray, but I'm looking for £750-800 because of its age and a finish that I believe is relatively unusual [that's my understanding anyway - if not do let me know].
I know that's not what more recent ones have been going for on here but I thought I'd put it up and see if it just happened to be exactly what someone has been longing for.
Comes with hard case [not MM one, I feel cheated now, I never got one], will post if buyer covers the cost.
I'm in Glasgow, and anyone is welcome to come and try it out.
Thanks for your time,
Matthew
[attachment=12710:musicman_front.JPG][attachment=12711:musicman_whole.JPG][attachment=12712:bass_bac
k.JPG][attachment=12713:DSC00460.JPG][attachment=12714:DSC00522.JPG]

Edited by magee

Hi Matthew,we corresponded by email about this bass a few weeks back.I still dont have the cash for it but it is THE StingRay I want. And you being so close too.

I'm going to need to hatch a plan and quick. :brow:

best of luck with the sale.its a beauty!

Keir

btw how you getting on with the MIA Jazz RI?

Hey Keir,
thanks for the nice comments. It's a cracker alright, I just feel like a change to something a little less powerful and ballsy really.
The Jazz I got is a thing of wonder and beauty, I couldn't be happier, but I did the dumbass thing and bought it before selling the Stingray, so the Jazz might have to go if the Stingray doesn't shift. The Jazz is lovely though: clear, even, woody sound. I put some Thomasik flatwounds on it and it sounds like honey. Sigh.
Let me know if you come up with that plan! But thanks for the nice comments,
cheers,
Mathew

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='271474' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:43 AM']Hi Matthew,we corresponded by email about this bass a few weeks back.I still dont have the cash for it but it is THE StingRay I want. And you being so close too.

I'm going to need to hatch a plan and quick. :brow:

best of luck with the sale.its a beauty!

Keir

btw how you getting on with the MIA Jazz RI?[/quote]

Same year as my Ray, it's really a beautiful thing. If it had a maple board i'd consider selling mine to get hold of yours. I really believe the late 80s and early 90s was a golden era for musicman, and the 2 band preamp offers a lovely earthy aggressive sound. £750 is a good price for such a brilliant and beautiful instrument. Good luck with the sale.

p.s. it would be nice with a white pickguard as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...