Why become a member? ×

SOLD 1991 Warwick Thumb NT 4
£1000

AustinArto

Edit: Sold on eBay last night, assuming no problems with the buyer. Sorry all it's gone.

For sale: Warwick Thumb. Made in Germany in January 1991, back before they started using CNC machines to shape them and before the company started offering bolt-on models and their budget ranges. It has a bubinga body with a 7-piece laminate wenge / bubinga thru-neck and wenge fingerboard, the headstock is faced with ebony.

It has the original MEC pickups and 2-band preamp. Knobs are volume (pull to switch into passive mode), pickup pan and a stacked bass and treble boost/cut. All the hardware is original including the bell brass frets and brass Just-A-Nut. It's fitted with black Schaller straplock buttons. I think these are original too but honestly I don't know what Warwick were using at the time.

I've owned it since 2003 and looked after it. Cosmetically there are some scratches on the rear of the bass probably from a belt buckle, the rear edge has two small pinhead-sized dings near the strap button, the front of the body has no marks at all except for some thumb wear above the front pickup which is par for the course on these wax-finished Warwicks. The neck has no dings at all, it looks new front and back. The rear control cavity cover and battery cover, which are often damaged on older basses, are intact on this one.

Functionally it has no issues at all, everything works, no noise from the electronics, pots still smooth and silent, all the bridge and saddle pieces move freely, etc. It's currently strung with Roto 66 .040-.100 roundwounds. Suffice to say it does that trademark Warwick growl/purr sound very authentically.

I don't have a hard case and can't think of a way to safely package it for a courier, so it will have to be collection only. I'm in York, and I'd be willing to drive a reasonable distance to deliver or meet half-way. I can provide a tatty Warwick gig bag for some protection on your return journey. If you are further away and really want it I will work with you to try to sort out shipping, but I would much rather sell it locally.

Reason for sale: I'm not in a band at the moment and I'm saving for a deposit on a house, so I'm looking for a straight sale, no trades.

Edited by AustinArto

Hi Kev. I weighed it using my rubbish Ikea bathroom scales so not very accurate (Edit: Tried some electronic scales once I found some batteries, and they say 9.5lbs).

I should add it doesn't really suffer from neck dive either. It won't sit up like a Jazz does but it balances well on a strap. I use 2" cotton straps.

Edited by AustinArto