Why become a member? ×

Going classical

SteveJ

Well done Steve. I'm on the same path as you. I took my Grade 5 a year ago, and then my Grade 5 Theory in June, and they were fantastic milestones for me. I'm 60 now and want to achieve Grade 8 before I'm 65.

There's no reason why I shouldn't do it, but the gap between Grade 5 and 6 seems huge! Right now I'm struggling with playing fast(ish) steady quavers. I think the biggest challenge by far is using the bow. My wife is learning the violin and was chatting with her teacher about the fact that although most people are right handed, with string instruments all the dexterity is required in the left hand. Oh no, said her teacher, definitely not - EVERYTHING is in the bowing!

I'm left handed anyway but have always played stringed instruments right handed, so no wonder I'm struggling at the moment.

Keep up the good work, and the posts - it's encouraging to hear from others out there taking the same journey.

New here and I spotted this thread and a few things I thought worth a mention. I'm an experienced cellist about G7 standard and I also play an instrument called the viola da gamba. The latter is played with bow 'underhand' similar to German bass bow technique. With both of these, teachers have always recommended using a mirror when starting as the tendency is to not adjust your angle as you cross and you bow then describes an arc and goes 'up' as you get to the heel on an up bow in particular.

There are plenty of community bands/orchestras who will accept players at all levels, including complete beginner. The best thing I did was joining a community orchestra the week I bought my cello 5 years ago. The orchestral parts usually include special 'easy string' parts for complete beginners. Look out for strirg workshops - I am going to one on Saturday on the Wirral. There are plenty of orchestral weekends and courses too - I go to s summer school each year which has everything from a small elementary string group to a full size symphony orchestra as your options.

The web site www.amateurorchestras.org.uk lists many groups, also has a FB page.

Edited by zbd1960

• 1 month later...

It's just about a year since I started this thread so time for an update:

After a year of fortnightly lessons and 256 total hours of practice I've progressed from complete classical notice to passing Grade 2 and being past of a string ensemble. On Saturday we played two pieces to an audience over 300 as part of a program in the Whitby Spa Pavillion. The string ensemble has about 15 members and I'm the only bass so am quite exposed but my occasional error was only noticeable by myself and the conductor (I hope).

Plan for the coming year; grade 4 and much more ensemble....

Steve

This is great! Just a suggestion - some local orchestras will do the odd "open rehearsal" or workshop type event where you can go along and get some experience of playing in a section. That's the biggest difference for players coming into orchestral music, but it's great fun and the support is great for your confidence

Neil