Why become a member? ×

Tried out the Vintage Deluxe and B7K today

Guinness21

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Went down to Bass Direct t try out a couple of cabs, and while I was there I tried out these two darkglass pedals. I've been meaning to try the b7k out for AGES, just never had the chance to. So I was really looking forward to this and wasn't disappointed. [/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I tried them with my Stingray, playing through a Markbass LM Tube and Bergantino CN212, so it was a nice clean rig so I could hear the full sound of the pedals. I had a play around with the both pedals. [/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I played a few classic od bass lines, stuff like Song 2 by Blur and Starlight, Hysteria and Supermassive Black HoleBefore trying them, I thought I was going to really like the B7k. I've read a lot on it and listened to a lot of demos. And while I liked what I heard, the top end aggressiveness combined with my stingray made for a bit too much of a good thing. On the other hand, the vintage deluxe sounded badass playing the muse stuff, didn't anticipate it but loved the vintage drive with my stingray. To my ears at least, it sounded like the vintage deluxe was also capable of producing a larger variety of sounds too.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]So yeah, love the vintage deluxe. No point buying one while I'm not in a band, but as soon as I am will definitely be grabbing one of these [/font][/color]

I get that danny. Tbh now I've had time to reflect, not sure that I'd need the eq on the vintage deluxe. I'm saving for a Bergantino CN212 right now, but the vmt/vinyage deluxe is definitely next on the list. I might end up buying a b7k anyway to stack with it. Plus I'd like a muff fuzz or a pharaoh supreme -God why are there so many choices?!

the EQ is definitely worth it. allows for extra tweaking to get the sound just right. The VMT works fine for a lot of people, but there are some who have expressed frustration with not getting it to sound just how they want. For the extra quid i think it makes it a much better pedal.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1433697079' post='2793170']
the EQ is definitely worth it. allows for extra tweaking to get the sound just right. The VMT works fine for a lot of people, but there are some who have expressed frustration with not getting it to sound just how they want. For the extra quid i think it makes it a much better pedal.
[/quote]

Fair point.

If it's an always on tone shaper pedal though rather than an overdrive you will stomp on and off mid song, and you have a decent amp EQ, the standard one will do just fine.

I went for the Deluxe as my Orange Terror Bass / Ampeg SVT210AV setup is pretty dark sounding as it is, the EQ is crap on the amp and I needed a bit more brightness from the pedal.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1433622604' post='2792642']
[color=#141414]Went down to Bass Direct t try out a couple of cabs, and while I was there I tried out these two darkglass pedals. I've been meaning to try the b7k out for AGES, just never had the chance to. So I was really looking forward to this and wasn't disappointed. [/color]

[color=#141414]I tried them with my Stingray, playing through a Markbass LM Tube and Bergantino CN212, so it was a nice clean rig so I could hear the full sound of the pedals. I had a play around with the both pedals. [/color]

[color=#141414]I played a few classic od bass lines, stuff like Song 2 by Blur and Starlight, Hysteria and Supermassive Black HoleBefore trying them, I thought I was going to really like the B7k. I've read a lot on it and listened to a lot of demos. And while I liked what I heard, the top end aggressiveness combined with my stingray made for a bit too much of a good thing. On the other hand, the vintage deluxe sounded badass playing the muse stuff, didn't anticipate it but loved the vintage drive with my stingray. To my ears at least, it sounded like the vintage deluxe was also capable of producing a larger variety of sounds too.[/color]

[color=#141414]So yeah, love the vintage deluxe. No point buying one while I'm not in a band, but as soon as I am will definitely be grabbing one of these [/color]
[/quote]

You may not have the same experience in a mix!

I just had to over-EQ the Vintage to get a tone I liked and one that would cut through.

Well i cut through pretty clear atm, with a stingray and what will be a transparent amp rig. I found the vintage rolled it off just a touch, but then delivered that killer sound! No doubt it would pull me further back into the mix, but I think it would be in just the right spot. Course I won't know until I get one and try it in a band setting...