Why become a member? ×

Huge Rig or Medium Rig and IEM

tayste_2000

So I am faced with another dilema having had another idea for my rig setup.

I had decided to get 2 matamp 2x15's which is pretty excessive and loud and 1 is probably enough but I like the look and power that I'll be feeling from the pair but thinking about it, it is my own monitor and while we still do some gigs without large PA support it does happen so I know I need at least one cab.

The drummer and guitarist both use wired in ears but don't have individual mix which is not really ideal, but we use backing tracks so they need them for the click and backing tracks and I though hell why not join in the fun and not really have any monitoring concerns at any gig. We have a new mixer coming in to give them 2 individual mixs I'm not to fussed about my mix as long as I have control over the mix as a whole and my bass separately.

The system I was looking at was this [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_iem_100_863_mhz.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_iem_100_863_mhz.htm[/url] most of the talk about IEM's seems to be about the actual headphones so I'd upgrade to some Shures or Elicin's.

So I'm after any advice on setting this up and what I need. I'm currently thinking something like a 4 channel line mixer, that wireless, an X2 rackmount wireless so I can run around everywhere, but I wondered if it was worth using a multiple DI setup in my rack and mixing that myself and sending the combined signal to my IEM and to the FOH.

Or should I just get 2 2x15's and rock out :)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='270166' date='Aug 26 2008, 12:42 PM']So I am faced with another dilema having had another idea for my rig setup.

I had decided to get 2 matamp 2x15's which is pretty excessive and loud and 1 is probably enough but I like the look and power that I'll be feeling from the pair but thinking about it, it is my own monitor and while we still do some gigs without large PA support it does happen so I know I need at least one cab.

The drummer and guitarist both use wired in ears but don't have individual mix which is not really ideal, but we use backing tracks so they need them for the click and backing tracks and I though hell why not join in the fun and not really have any monitoring concerns at any gig. We have a new mixer coming in to give them 2 individual mixs I'm not to fussed about my mix as long as I have control over the mix as a whole and my bass separately.

The system I was looking at was this [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_iem_100_863_mhz.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_iem_100_863_mhz.htm[/url] most of the talk about IEM's seems to be about the actual headphones so I'd upgrade to some Shures or Elicin's.

So I'm after any advice on setting this up and what I need. I'm currently thinking something like a 4 channel line mixer, that wireless, an X2 rackmount wireless so I can run around everywhere, but I wondered if it was worth using a multiple DI setup in my rack and mixing that myself and sending the combined signal to my IEM and to the FOH.

Or should I just get 2 2x15's and rock out :)[/quote]

Tough call!

...Both?

Inear monitoring is not made for me. I prefer to hear what´s going on on stage and in the crowd and I don´t want to be acoustically isolated. It never happened ever that I couldn´t find the sweetspot on stage where it sounded perfectly balanced for me.
Inear doesn´t rock. Too much control, no sensations.
Get yourself whatever bassrig really thrills you and be lucky with what you hear.

[quote name='jensenmann' post='270231' date='Aug 26 2008, 01:27 PM']oh and btw if you buy an inear do yourself a favour and get a Sennheiser. They are the most reliable. Surely they cost more than others but they will give you less trouble. Once buying professional gear saves you from having to buy twice.[/quote]

Yeah I always try and take that approach, I think you are right in the whole feel thing especially with my music, I still want to improve my whole sound out front (FOH) though was thinking of getting an Avalon u5 but wasn't sure if I should put that through the amp as well?

[quote name='umph' post='270212' date='Aug 26 2008, 01:15 PM']would you even be able to hear the IEM with the matamps cranked?[/quote]

...Or would you be able to hear the backline with the IEMs set up? I decided it wasn't worth using both because the sound from the IEMs was far superior to a cranked full blown tube rig. I did like to 'feel' the rig though, but now I get that with monitors.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='270243' date='Aug 26 2008, 12:34 PM']Yeah I always try and take that approach, I think you are right in the whole feel thing especially with my music, I still want to improve my whole sound out front (FOH) though was thinking of getting an Avalon u5 but wasn't sure if I should put that through the amp as well?[/quote]
Ask your FoH engineer what he thinks would improve your FoH sound. I´m pretty sure there will come up very different opinions than you´d expect.