Why become a member? ×

Looking for a little advice about which type of amp is suited to me

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I am looking for a little help as I am pretty confused by the options before me at the moment. I am new to playing bass and I am after an amp I can use. At the moment I have an old Ashdown Mag-300 sitting in the corner of my flat that I was given as a gift from a buddy that cleared out his studio. However, the amp is way too heavy and large for me to port around in my little car and at the same time poorly suited to practice in my flat without upsetting some neighbors! As such I am looking into getting a new amp that suites my needs.

The two key points that I am trying to cover are:

(1) an amp that I can use in a band situation alongside a (noisy) drummer, guitarist and horn player. I'm currently playing casually with two different groups of people, and I hope to do more with others so I do nee to ensure that what I get can keep up in a rehearsal / smallish gig scenario at the very least.

(2) an amp that has a headphone out so that I can practice into the wee hours while maintaining a healthy relationship with my neighbors.

I know I could go for two distinct amps - one for practice and one for actual play - and I am certainly willing to consider such an option. However, the small amp heads such as the Ampeg PT-500, the Ashdown MiBass and so forth are looking like interesting possibilities.

So I guess what I am wondering is if anyone has some advice to me regarding these sorts of amps or any other options that might suit my needs. I've done my best to read up reviews and so forth of individual amp models that look interesting but I'm feeling quite daunted by the options and would appreciate some advice from people that are more experienced in these things that I am.

Edited by Naetharu

I've two separate rigs (3 if you count the speakers I leave at our practice space)...

a small Ampeg Micro CL Stack for home use.

For practice/gig I've separate cabs and head. Depending on budget I'd go for a lightweight head 300W+ (I use a Markbass BigBang) and then size cab(s) to your taste.

I use a pair of Markbass 112H and 115P for practrce and gig with a Barefaced SuperTwin. Same amp head with both rigs.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432938260' post='2786513']
I'd advise giving some idea of the budget you're willing to consecrate for this; you'll get all sorts of recommendations otherwise which may not suit your pocket. Just sayin'. ;)
[/quote]

Whoops! I'd say that something around the £300 mark for the amp head would be ideal. I could perhaps reach £400ish at a push but I would rather not if possible.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1432938434' post='2786516']
TC Electronics BG250?
Ticks all those boxes. I really like mine.
[/quote]

I was reading up on that one earlier today. It looks like a pretty neat little amp, and I love the idea of the build in effect unit. The only worry I have is that its pretty low wattage and so I was concerned that I might find I run out of headroom quickly when playing with an over-zealous drummer. How has your one fared when it comes to playing with a drummer/guitarist etc?