Why become a member? ×

Moin, ihr Bassnasen

jensenmann

Hiya gentlemen and gentlewomen

Just found this place when searching for Walbasses infos. This seems to be a very cool and peaceful place in the web, so why not registering???

My name is Jens, I´m located in Karlsruhe, Germany and into music since 34 years.
Bassaddiction came up 22 years ago with my first bass being a GDR-made Musima fourstring-piece-of-sh*t. I soon decided to get something better which led me to the instruments which I´m actually playing:
Wal 5string, Wal 6string fretless, 2x Fender Jazz, Spector NS2, selfmade Jazzbass, Squier JV Precision
I totally lost control over which and how many effects I have. Some bandmates gave me the name "sound of the 70s". This must have come from not knowing which knob is doing what on all those pedals.
My bassrigs are: Ampeg SVT+cab (silverface, first series), Ampeg B15, Trace Elliot AH600SMX+2x Boogie 2x10 Clone (DIYed), some more cabs with 2x12 EV and 1x15 Celestion, some guitarcabs, SWR Baby Blue, Echolette BN40, Hiwatt Custom 100, Acoustic 470 (this thing has barely ever worked no to speak never sounded good. Now that´s 70s)

Could anybody please tell what one should need all that rubbish for??? I´m wondering everyday :-S

I´ve been professional bassplayer for about 10 years. My mistake was that I learned to read music. So I got one call after another to read and hence played with probably every band and some more in my area with not enough rehearsing. Quite a frustrating expierience since all the other bands sounded good while wherever I jumped in it sounded not that exciting. Been there, done that made me regret having spent so much time with not playing original music. This (and the ever decreasing wages) made me quit professionalism and get a job as teacher for audioengineering three years ago. Today I enjoy not to read music and play originals, recording, practicing martial arts and DIYing studio gear. Besides that I´m running a nice little homerecording studio and enjoy being daddy since 9 weeks (which is probably the best thing that ever happened in my life).

cheers
Jens

Edited by jensenmann

GruB dich Jens...Wilkommen zu Basschat UK.

Ich spiele 4,5,6 und 9 saiter Basse,und Contrabasse (von Dusseldorf). Ich singen also.....

Meine Tante und Cousen kompt aus Osterholtz im Scharmbeck und Bremen...und meine Fussball team im Deutschland ist FC Sankt Pauli.

Ich Spiele vor 17 jahre.

(Hope that made sense)

You ever play an ESH?

Edited by ARGH

Huh, wow, thanks for your warm welcome. I didn´t expect that.
It seems that everybody here speaks german, so why not convert this board into german language :)
No, better not, it´s a good opportunity for me to practice english .

Hey, Oliver, where are you located? Somewhere close to me (Karlsruhe)? I´d love to check some other Walbasses :-)

ARGH, yes, I played an ESH some years ago. But it was a short checkout when a fellow bassplayer visited me at home. He came with his ESH fretless to check one of my DIYed preamps. The focus at that evening was less the bass but more distortion characteristics of tubes and beer. So I can´t say anything reliable about these instruments (except what is my taste about them - but that´s of no help for anybody else). Very longtime ago I met one of the founders of ESH and talked with him about construction of bassguitars - I used to work at a luthier´s place at that time. He had a very welleducated opinion about this stuff and a very good concept of how to translate his ideas into construction. ESH basses have very good detailsolutions to solve problems other bassguitars have because of design flaws. If one likes the result is a different, very personal thing.

cheers
Jens