Why become a member? ×

Original equipment strings.

Can anyone tell me what were the strings originally fitted by Yamaha to the Bb2024X. I have changed them a couple of times, and am now running with D'addario lighter gauge strings, but I am wondering what were fitted as standard, as these would have been what Yamaha deemed the ones to suit the bass best, and give that all important first impression to any potential buyer hearing it for the first time.. Also any suggestions on what to use to give it a really nice funky ' there and gone' punchy tone without to much of that zingy hi-end string sound. Ta very much folks...

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1431589463' post='2772784']
...but I am wondering what were fitted as standard, as these would have been what Yamaha deemed the ones to suit the bass best
[/quote]

I suspect that Yamaha's selecting of which strings to fit as standard is mostly based on cost as opposed to what sounded best.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1431589463' post='2772784']Also any suggestions on what to use to give it a really nice funky ' there and gone' punchy tone without to much of that zingy hi-end string sound. Ta very much folks...
[/quote]
Mr Notes... something that you might want to try (and you'll probably either love it or hate it) is the old foam trick that Jamerson used to do - i.e. foam under the strings next to the bridge to deaden the notes.

I've found this works equally effectively on a roundwound-strung 'brighter' bass as it does on a flatwound-strung more 'vintage tones' bass, which it is normally used on.

Wind the tone up and you'll get the bright punchy attack due to the roundwounds (giving you your 'there') but the decay will be more immediate (giving you your required 'gone'). Job done! Sly & the Family Stone-tastic.

I have a Jazz Bass strung with roundwounds that I do this on and (to my ears at least) it sounds great. Be interested to know what you think..