Why become a member? ×

Opinions on the Hughes & Kettner Quantum Amps?

Skybone

I had a mosey around today, and decided to have a look in the music shops while I could.

One of the shops had a second hand Hughes & Kettner Quantum 421 combo that took my eye. They're asking a lot for it on the ticket, but I had a chat with one of the sales people, and was told that they'd drop £100 off the price just to move it on (I got the impression that they'd drop a fair bit more too if you pressed them!). Condition wise, it's been well used, with a few scuffs, marks & small tears on the covering, but nothing too drastic as far as I could see. Didn't plug it in as it was only a bit of a browsing session. Weight wise, it wasn't too bad, a bit heavy but not overly heavy, awkward due to the wedge shape, but nothing that you couldn't live with.

Has anyone used one before? Sound good? Any limitations? How reliable are they? etc...

The Quantum Combos are voiced in a mid-deep featuring vintage way, think of TC RH450 (without their compromised dynamics and latency) or Mesaboogie Walkabout. I think they are not too well suited for bright and clear (modern) sounds. But they do very well that tubey & grindy sound.

These seem to be reliable, no quality issues known.

My own Quantum 310 (1x10" Speaker) is loud enough only if the Drummer uses brushes, not sticks.
The 421 doesn't have that deficit. If I had an opportunity here in North Rhine - Westphalia, I would buy it.

Edited by williebald

All sounds pretty good so far. I had a trawl through eBay the other night, but couldn't find anything about the Quantum amps. In fact, a general Google search of the good ole t'interweb didn't find very much indeed (but did find a thread on here from 2009).

The way I see it, the £300 guide isn't far off the mark given the fact that they were willing to drop £100 off the ticket price on simply asking about the amp. Given the condition I'd say that £300 would be a fair price.

I'm looking for something that will be a good sounding "rock" amp, so I assume that it will meet my requirements. Not sure about the TC / MB points of reference, but I think that I might need to take one of my basses in with me next time I go in there. There wasn't much in the way of Bass stock on show, there was a Mark Bass 300w 1x? combo, a couple of AER's (in their bags, so no idea on model / output), everything else was well under 100w - not ideal for a band situation.

Does anyone know if the quoted 400w for the Quantum is the "full fat" 400w with the internal speakers, or with an external cab?

He was also recommending the Fender Rumble 500, which is on my "would like to try" list, but I certainly wouldn't want to buy before hearing it.

Edited by Skybone