Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM evoii 'crackling'

LewisK1975

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Started after about 3 songs into last nights set - Loud crackling somewhere in the pre-amp, know its in the pre-amp coz I could see the vu meter jumping when it was happening...

Here's hoping its something simple!!

Was thinking it could be the Valve / dodgy input socket / dirty pot ??

Amp was bought new in 2006, I am the only owner..

Cheers!!

Got it on test in the house now - running the ipod thru it and waiting for something to happen...

Have heard a bit of noise on the pots, hopefully it's as simple as that...

Bruce, I don't or never have used the valve drive...always disliked the sound of it!

Largo - Its possible, could also be something in the pedal board I guess, although didn't have any issues when I switched to my backup amp for the second set on last night's gig...

Sounds like the pre amp valve is on the way out. Do you still get the crackling when you turn the pre amp to solid state only? If not then the valve needs replacing. Although pre valves last much much longer than output valves they can fail prematurely.

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1431570299' post='2772709']
Sounds like the pre amp valve is on the way out. Do you still get the crackling when you turn the pre amp to solid state only? If not then the valve needs replacing. Although pre valves last much much longer than output valves they can fail prematurely.
[/quote]

It's one of those annoying intermittent faults - have had it running for hours at home with an ipod playing through it with no issues - dont think I could trust it on a gig again now though...I've never engaged the valve drive for any length of time and certainly don't use it for gigging, don't like the sound of it..