Why become a member? ×

Triggering a CD sample

In all my years of playing, I've never been in a position where I have had to consider doing this.

How, with the least bother and maximum effect, do I create and trigger the intro of a song from a CD.

It's literally the first five seconds, which could be looped to play twice and then the live band jump straight in.

Please treat me as the idiot I am and explain in detail as I have no clue where to start whatsoever.

Get a sampler & sample the first 5 seconds.
You could get a dedicated sampler such as an old Akai S950 for about £30 & trigger it with a foot controller, or you could get a stomp box such as a looper or even a multi fx pedal (my old Zoom had a sampler/looper that could sample up to 30 seconds, they can be picked up for peanuts).

If you've got an iPad, you could install an app such as Akai MPC & sample the song from your iTunes library (put the song on your iPad). Set the BPM in MPC to match the song, then make a pattern that lasts however long you want & plays the intro twice & stop it as it starts to play the 2nd sample (it should still finish the sample if set to "One Shot".
Now you take a cable from your iPad to the desk/amp, you're good to go.

Edited by xgsjx