Why become a member? ×

Defret

Bobzilla

So, I've decided to have a go at de-fretting a bass. One £18.50 Westfield P-Bass off Ebay later, and I have a suitable victim (yes, I know, its not going to sound the best fretless ever, but its a learning tool). Key question though is filler or veneer. I've seen advocates of both on online tutorials, but has anyone done one with either or even both?

Thanks.

(and the good thing is that a cheap bass neck means easily removed frets with zero damage and flaking).

Veneer, if you can do it really neatly. I saw one once with quite wide veneer lines, made of holly if I remember rightly; the luthier had taken out the frets, then sawn slightly wider slots out so that they were really sharp and neat before inserting the veneer strips. It looked great.

I've heard tales of folk filing down the frets until just the metal tang remains within the slot, flush with the fretboard surface, then applying several coats of a suitable varnish.

Can't remember where I heard this or how successful it was though.

No chips, good work. I did my own defeater ages ago and used filler, I was pretty happy with the results. Many years later I had one done professionally with maple fillets and I was very happy with the results. Both will need sanding down, filler might be a quicker job, but might initially be a bit messier and with the potential for some sinkage. Wood might still need some filler and might leave more high spots. It probably comes down to how good you are working with wood, if you're a dab hand with it then that's the more 'pro' way to go I'd say. You pays your money and takes your choice. Either way, good luck and we look forward to hearing about your results together with pics.

[quote name='Bobzilla' timestamp='1429651079' post='2753723']
So, I've decided to have a go at de-fretting a bass. One £18.50 Westfield P-Bass off Ebay later, and I have a suitable victim (yes, I know, its not going to sound the best fretless ever, but its a learning tool). Key question though is filler or veneer. I've seen advocates of both on online tutorials, but has anyone done one with either or even both?

Thanks.

(and the good thing is that a cheap bass neck means easily removed frets with zero damage and flaking).
[/quote]

well done! :)

I also bought a cheap Sue Ryder P-bass a while ago and it's turned out pretty well as a fretless. I sold a Squier VM and a Japanese Fender (beautiful, natural and unlined maple fingerboard), because this one felt and sounded better!

I removed the frets myself, carefully, but I let someone else finish it. I had sycamore veneers to fill the fret slots. I keep thinkinf about removing the black dots and insert something pale instead... but that's a lot of cash for a "cheap bass", and it's purely cosmetic...

have fun with yours!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1429904181' post='2756319']
I removed the frets myself, carefully, but I let someone else finish it. I had sycamore veneers to fill the fret slots. I keep thinkinf about removing the black dots and insert something pale instead... but that's a lot of cash for a "cheap bass", and it's purely cosmetic...
[/quote]
That's quite a striking look with the light and dark contrast. It's almost 'graphic novel' in appearance.

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1429921578' post='2756465']
That's quite a striking look with the light and dark contrast. It's almost 'graphic novel' in appearance.
[/quote]

I'm about to remove the cream Model P pickups and install some black ones, just for looks... It shouldn't bother me but every time I look at it I go "ah, it'd look so much better all in black!" :P