Why become a member? ×

shielding - copper tape

mcnach

In my limited experience it is all about the thickness of the copper / aluminium as far as workability goes.

Thicker stuff will be a little better to solder too, and aluminium a bit harder to get a good joint on.

On a related note, I have had the same experience as mcnach: [i]"Truly silent now.
Well, except for when I touch the polepieces" [/i]I'm assuming the pickup coils are grounded but the poles aren't. Could test for that now that I think of it...

Quote function not working from this pc but re Aluminium - yes it doesn't solder properly with 'standard' solder (leaded or lead free). There is 'Aluminium Solder' available but not so easy to source and probably more expensive too.
Given that Copper is a better shielding material then it's better to go with that.
And even if using the conductive adhesive its still a good idea to solder pieces together as the adhesive isn't quite as conductive as the Copper itself (to be fair little is unless you're thinking about using Silver !)

Is the wiring from the pickup a piece of mine I shielded coax or two normal thin bits of wire? If it's wire make sure it's twisted together, this will drastically reduce hum and Buzz. Don't forget also that any copper or paint shielding must be unearthed back to the Jack socket or other will cat like an antenna and make the problem worse.
Earthing is a pain, I've seen it cause more arguments and problems than almost any other electrical/ electronic problem.

Edited by Subthumper