Why become a member? ×

New Practice Amp Day

M@23

Last Friday actually. Took a trip to Bass Gear and this was one of two things I ended up leaving with, having left another two things there.

A PJB Double Four. It's a funny little thing; shorter in length than one of my shoes and lighter than one of my cats. If those aren't your preferred units of measurement, it's about 28cm tall and 4kg in weight.

A 70 watt 2x4 combo, with 3 band EQ, aux in and headphone out, that runs off a laptop charger. It has a handy mute switch and a hi/lo switch and input level.

I used to use a Behringer 1x8 combo, a 25 watt job. The PJB is probably as loud or a touch louder than that in real terms. For me, that equates to: loud enough for jamming along at home and loud enough for rehearsals with the band where the drummer uses an electric kit. It does have a line out too, so will give that a bash some when.

But... And it's a big ol' but! This thing has some bass!! The EQ is quite meaty, but remarkably, the two 4 inch drivers take it well. I can max the volume and bass and it will take it, seemingly quite comfortably.

It isn't the loudest, I've no doubt a 50 watt 1x10 will be shoutier. But, this thing is smooth and will give you proper bass tones. It fits comfortably in a small backpack too.

It does like good quality leads though. The first time I used it at home it was a bit hissy. After ruling a few other things out, I changed from the cable you get with a US standard Fender to one of my normal Whirlwind jobbies and the hiss dissapeared.

Very impressed so far. It is expensive for what it is, but, it does what it does exceptionally well. As I'm off this week, I'll endeavour to follow this up with some proof.
Bass Gear, Vic and Barrie were very helpful and knowledgeable as ever too. I'd only been in the shop two mins and the kettle was on as well! Kinda cool that I travelled back by train with a full practice rig as well, hardcase in one hand and this amp with all leads in a backpack.

[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/mattdigweed/media/3_zps4hl4yruk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/mattdigweed/3_zps4hl4yruk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• 1 month later...