Why become a member? ×

Tidal Streaming Service

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430127159' post='2758112']
But most people who are older than 6 don't want to watch the same movie over and over again.

I'm quite happy to pay to stream a movie once, and if I thought it was any good I'll be happy to pay in couple of years time to watch it again.

Songs that I like I will want to listen to all the time. If it's through a streaming service you are totally at the whim of the service and the artist allowing their music to be on that service. At least with a CD ripped onto my computer and iPod I can listen to the song whenever I want.
[/quote]

... yes, and that's why I wasn't keen on music streaming. Until it started to become easy for me to find music I wanted to hear at a reasonably low price. I still buy... but I like not depending on having the music physically with me. As long as I have internet connection, I'm set.
It's not great yet... but eventually coverage/selection will be better. It frees you from having to have that particular CD with you, or the mp3 in your player or whatever. Enough people like that to make streaming popular.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1430136198' post='2758229']
Isn't this just like the BBC radio though. Technically you pay a license fee to listen to the radio/ watch TV. If you hear a song you like on the radio, you go out and buy it.

I don't know many people who buy songs from previously unknown artists without hearing them first.
[/quote]

and there's that too!

A streaming service that recognises what you play, and suggests "others you might like" has a huge potential. I have spent hundreds on Amazon after buying a CD and checking the "other Cds you might like", discovering some interesting bands in the process.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1430159460' post='2758539']

... yes, and that's why I wasn't keen on music streaming. Until it started to become easy for me to find music I wanted to hear at a reasonably low price. I still buy... but I like not depending on having the music physically with me. As long as I have internet connection, I'm set.
It's not great yet... but eventually coverage/selection will be better. It frees you from having to have that particular CD with you, or the mp3 in your player or whatever. Enough people like that to make streaming popular.
[/quote]

I'm quite happy to use a streaming service to listen to bands I've heard about that sound interesting, but if I do find something worth hearing more than a handful of times I'll still buy the CD. I wouldn't want to rely on the streaming service being the only way I could listen to the music and I certainly wouldn't be prepared to pay for it, when I'm using it solely as a try before I buy service.

While internet connectivity is a lot better than it used to be it's still not 100% reliable, whereas so long as I have electricity I can alway listen to my CDs, and even in cities mobile data can be very patchy. IME the infrastructure still isn't good enough to make streaming a viable substitute for actually owning a physical copy of the recordings you want to hear.

And that's before I even start looking at the huge gaps in the various streaming services catalogues...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1430159643' post='2758540']
and there's that too!

A streaming service that recognises what you play, and suggests "others you might like" has a huge potential. I have spent hundreds on Amazon after buying a CD and checking the "other Cds you might like", discovering some interesting bands in the process.
[/quote]

There's a service called Pandora (which sadly is no longer available in the UK) which offers this. When I've used it in the past it has been very good at suggesting music I should be interested in based on my tastes and I found my current favourite band "The Birthday Massacre" through Pandora. Unfortunately for musicians it's royalty rate is even poorer than Spotify.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430160686' post='2758551']
I'm quite happy to use a streaming service to listen to bands I've heard about that sound interesting, but if I do find something worth hearing more than a handful of times I'll still buy the CD. I wouldn't want to rely on the streaming service being the only way I could listen to the music and I certainly wouldn't be prepared to pay for it, when I'm using it solely as a try before I buy service.

While internet connectivity is a lot better than it used to be it's still not 100% reliable, whereas so long as I have electricity I can alway listen to my CDs, and even in cities mobile data can be very patchy. IME the infrastructure still isn't good enough to make streaming a viable substitute for actually owning a physical copy of the recordings you want to hear.

And that's before I even start looking at the huge gaps in the various streaming services catalogues...
[/quote]

Absolutely, it's not perfect. Gaps in coverage both for connectivity and the music selection are quite big. I still buy music and will probably continue... even if it's only out of habit. But I think one day streaming will probably be good enough that most people would not care about buying. Only us old die hards :lol:

It's not there yet, but the idea is attractive. Ad even if it isn't attractive to me, it seems that's the way we're going: moving to get people to pay smaller amounts regularly rather than larger sums once. It's even there in software, look at Adobe and Microsof Office 365... Little by little, we pay for a service rather than ownership.
Once we moved to CDs, I stopped progressively caring about the physical format. The old records with the big sleeves, the artwork, all the information inside, photographs... thatw as interesting and precious. Then CDs arrived and it's all small, if it exists at all... it's just not the same. I converted all my CDs to mp3 and that's how I play music most of the time, from a hard drive.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430160905' post='2758553']
There's a service called Pandora (which sadly is no longer available in the UK) which offers this. When I've used it in the past it has been very good at suggesting music I should be interested in based on my tastes and I found my current favourite band "The Birthday Massacre" through Pandora. Unfortunately for musicians it's royalty rate is even poorer than Spotify.
[/quote]

I heard of it but I arrived too late!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1430163466' post='2758593']

Absolutely, it's not perfect. Gaps in coverage both for connectivity and the music selection are quite big. I still buy music and will probably continue... even if it's only out of habit. But I think one day streaming will probably be good enough that most people would not care about buying. Only us old die hards :lol:

It's not there yet, but the idea is attractive. Ad even if it isn't attractive to me, it seems that's the way we're going: moving to get people to pay smaller amounts regularly rather than larger sums once. It's even there in software, look at Adobe and Microsof Office 365... Little by little, we pay for a service rather than ownership.
Once we moved to CDs, I stopped progressively caring about the physical format. The old records with the big sleeves, the artwork, all the information inside, photographs... thatw as interesting and precious. Then CDs arrived and it's all small, if it exists at all... it's just not the same. I converted all my CDs to mp3 and that's how I play music most of the time, from a hard drive.
[/quote]

I still view my CDs (and vinyl) as backup for my iTunes library.

Back in 2001 when I bought my first iPod I spent a week testing different MP3 converters and bit rates to find what sounded to me the best and then spent the next year ripping my CD collection (as well as digitising the vinyl that wasn't available then on CD). Now that storage is both cheap and plentiful I'm in the process of re-ripping everything as uncompressed AIFFs. However over the last 14 years I've bought quite a few tracks on line when the songs I wanted weren't available any other way and trying to keep track of where they came from so I can add the best quality versions to my new library. I know that I'll invariably miss transferring some over and short of going through around 35,000 tracks to spot which ones I've missed there is no way to ensure I get them all. There will be no problem getting everything on CD transferred across, just the time it will take.

I'm still not convinced by the subscription model for software either, and I'm not alone in this respect. Only one of the advertising/design agencies that I freelance for has "upgraded" to Creative Cloud and that's only because they needed more licences and CC is now the only option for adding new seats.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430172031' post='2758707']
I'm still not convinced by the subscription model for software either, and I'm not alone in this respect. Only one of the advertising/design agencies that I freelance for has "upgraded" to Creative Cloud and that's only because they needed more licences and CC is now the only option for adding new seats.
[/quote]

They always find a way to get people to migrate! It does make you wonder where the subscription line will end doesn't it.

not really a fan of the subscription package and so far my agency has only got CC where needed and the rest is running CS6, firm beleiver of if you pay for apackage you should own it, i'd rather buy cds too, spotify has been handy in finding new bands on occasion but i use itunes or listen to planet rock. was hope the subscription line would be a fad but guess not

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430172031' post='2758707']
I still view my CDs (and vinyl) as backup for my iTunes library.

Back in 2001 when I bought my first iPod I spent a week testing different MP3 converters and bit rates to find what sounded to me the best and then spent the next year ripping my CD collection (as well as digitising the vinyl that wasn't available then on CD). Now that storage is both cheap and plentiful I'm in the process of re-ripping everything as uncompressed AIFFs. However over the last 14 years I've bought quite a few tracks on line when the songs I wanted weren't available any other way and trying to keep track of where they came from so I can add the best quality versions to my new library. I know that I'll invariably miss transferring some over and short of going through around 35,000 tracks to spot which ones I've missed there is no way to ensure I get them all. There will be no problem getting everything on CD transferred across, just the time it will take.

[/quote]

Same here, almost everything (almost, I still would pay a subscription -price & coverage dependent- in addition to my continuing to purchase music).

When I started ripping my collection to mp3, computers were much slower, and I felt storage was expensive... so I ripped at 192kbps (the minimum I thought sounded ok in my mp3 player), and not every song, but only my favourites from each album. I saw mp3 as a supplement, only for music on teh move. After a few months of that I changed my mind... back to rip everything, and at 320kbps.
CDs took a while... but vinyl... uf.

I have bought many "digital copies" in the past few years, buying only CDs that I felt were more "special". But Amazon lately seems to have many where buying the CD is not much more expensive (and a handful ot times, cheaper!) than buying the digital only, and buying the CD gets you the digital instantly as well, so I started getting a few more CDs lately.

I'm considering getting into the Raspberry Pi computer trend, and using one as a server, to have my own "streaming" service, where the server has all my music and I can then listen/download anything I want from my collection. Should not be too expensive and it's great for travelling (or work, I listen to a lot of music at work)

But software subscriptions... I detest!