Why become a member? ×

Aria Cat gets new claws

synthaside

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]So the inspiration for this -rebuild was a few months ago [color=#282828]in wunjo's on denmark street shopping for new toys .. when i spied An Aria ,CAT Pro 2 For the best part of 400 quid.

I was disgusted by the price but my first bass was one of these in red - and it has lived in a cupboard sans case for years.[/color][color=#282828]This beast is a composite bodied ( fancy way of saying chipboard i think) heavy and passive but had a pretty decent neck even after all this time it feels comfy in my hands.[/color]

[color=#282828]Years ago I brutally refinished it away from the stock sparkle red ( old photo excuse the quality )[/color][/font][/size]
[center]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828][/color][/font][/size][/center]

[center][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]Car body spray to a horrific purple/blue ([/color][color=#282828]i was 17 and it seemed dead cool .)[/color][/font][/size][/center]
[center][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]More picture of this brutal blue can be found but ... its not pretty guys [/color]

[color=#282828][/color]

[color=#282828]So some serious elbow grease and nitromor's later It was cut back to this , ready for priming [/color]

[color=#282828][/color][/font][/size][/center]

[center][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5 coats of Undercoat , 10 coats of top coat lots of cutting back because I'd never used nitrocellulose paints before
Here's the end result click to expand the images should be public on Google drive but too large to put up on here.[/font][/size][/center]

[center][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There's a hard lacquer over the top comes courtesy of my local car repair guys, I was chatting to him while having a repair job done on my car ( insurance prang) who offered to spray it in their booth after he had finished with my bumper ... damn nice fellow ;-). It's a lot harder wearing than the nitro clear lacquer can I had bought to do it .[/font][/size][/center]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I'd put the bridge ashtray on their as an afterthought but I think it looks great .. does anyone have a neck P ashtray going begging . Willing to put some money up for it ... or perhaps trade for a can of [color=#444444]R&F Nitrocellulose Lacquer (Clear Top Coat).[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by synthaside

The finish really does not photo well .... plugged in it really growl's ... I guess its been a very long time since I played a P split coil .. i'm tempted to take it rehearsal over the T-bird thursday ... Another idea was to make a black scratch plate up for it but i really like the play between the chrome and green.

Im thinking to track down a neck ashtray ... without having to order from Thomman.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1428261112' post='2739720']
Damn you , its ordered ;-) , the last time i played with bass with pickup covers on i found it very strange ... looks over comfort ;-)
[/quote]

:lol:

Yeah I have a set of Jazz Bass covers and a set of P bass one's they both look really cool but get in the way when playing so I don't have them attached to either bass.

unfortunately Im the kind of guy who rests his thumb on the rear PU on a P/ J or J ,or rear humbucker on my Tbird
I think this is why I've never really gotten on with pure P basses ...

The Pickup cover arrived ala ebay .... i think its a Jazz one because it seems a lot smaller than i was imagining , guess i have to wait till
i get home. my worry is that it wont bridge the entire split coil ...