Why become a member? ×

5 String - not flavour of the month?

Bobthedog

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1428401441' post='2740852']
It is a boring debate because it is never a debate.

A 4 stringer usually kicks off with "Why bother with 5 strings". A thread of negativity from 4 stringers usually follows with 5 stringers explaining why 5 works for them. A 4 stringer then usually accuses the 5 stringers of getting touchy and it all fizzles out only to start up and follow the same script a few months later.

It's the same line of thought as the tedious "Boutique basses are a waste of money", and "My £200 bass sounds as good as any £10000 bass", threads.
[/quote]
Maybe we need to debate what constitutes a debate :unsure:
The 4 versus 5 string is a perfectly legitimate debate/discussion that will understandably come around every year or two, with contributions from newer members that bring their own views and experiences.
As I said in an earlier post, I'd never given fanned fret basses any thought, but thanks to this thread and Iain's mention of the extra (37") scale length of the B string, it's got me thinking that maybe I should check one out.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1428428516' post='2741198']

Maybe we need to debate what constitutes a debate :unsure:
The 4 versus 5 string is a perfectly legitimate debate/discussion that will understandably come around every year or two, with contributions from newer members that bring their own views and experiences.
As I said in an earlier post, I'd never given fanned fret basses any thought, but thanks to this thread and Iain's mention of the extra (37") scale length of the B string, it's got me thinking that maybe I should check one out.
[/quote]
You should definitely check out fanned frets, it gives that B string a whole new feel.

[quote name='kusee pee' timestamp='1428428729' post='2741201']You should definitely check out fanned frets, it gives that B string a whole new feel.[/quote]

...and the E @ 36.25" and the A @ 35.5"!

One benefit is thinner strings - the B I use is 0.127".

There are a lot of awesome basses around though and I'm sure plenty of well made 5s will play exceedingly well.

• 10 months later...

I always thought that the number of strings was a consequence of technology. As pickup and bass technology improves, the number to strings that can be fitted increases and the price decreases. Fan frets are a good example of this. The calculation of fret positions in the early days was pretty easy and anyone with a slide rule and grasp of arithmetic would be fine. The fan fret calculation is hideously complex unless you have a decent grasp of A-level maths and/or a computer-controlled laser cutter. As the technology for the latter improves and lessens in cost, 5 string fan fret basses and 7 string fan fret guitars become more available.

went back to 4 string after 20 years using just a 5. So far bar maybe one or two cover tunes that needed the key changed dramatically[font=arial, sans-serif][size=4][b] due to singers not having the right range I havn't found myself really needing one. There is however [/b][/size][/font]definitely a need for them for some situations and some players just dont work with out them, but personally I prefer a 4. I down tune to D or Eb where applicable and this works for me. I can always find a work around plus I find I can "get around" on a 4 with a lot more ease. Ive played MusicMan, Bernie Goodfellow and Overwater 5 strings. All very good, do the job well but just find a 4 string is less hassle.

PS

the bold lettering is a typo error I cant seem to get rid of and not a rant of any kind!!!!

Edited by bassjim

I don't think I'll be able to go back to a four-string now as I have been on a 5-string for 20-odd years now. I take Jim's point about work-arounds and there have been some bands that I have been with where the fifth string has been an expensive thumb rest but, by and large, I like the flexibility of a five-string.