Why become a member? ×

Skjold Lions Pride P 5 String

poptart

Well after alot of deliberation and looking at J style basses including Sadowsky, Nordstrand, Celinder etc I have finally decided on something a bit different but still classic/retro F*****R style.

To those unfamiliar with Pete Skjolds work, he is based in the US and has been building up his business for nearly fifteen years. He is best known for his Nordic influence basses that are both unusual in design and thoroughly well built and designed and sound very contemporary, using some cutting edge ideas and components.

This bass is from a new pair of designs that Pete has been working on that comply to a more traditional/familiar style. The specs are as follows;

Light Ash Body P shape - expected weight of the bass is 8 - 8.5lb
Premium Quilted Top - with black tint on the quilt only, the rest of the body will be natural with a high gloss finish
Three Piece Maple Neck
Maple fretboard
Chrome hardware
2 x SC1 Pickups - custom Skjold, Neodymium magnets
3 band East/Skjold Pre with internal adjustment for all three bands, plus an internally adjustable high pass filter/low cut

Build time - within six months

The Top

And here is an artists impression of the J version of this bass

Edited by poptart

Hi Mark,

are you having wood p'up covers too?

That must be the most interesting piece of quilted maple I've ever seen, I love the way it changes from ridges to circle like bubbles! Is it going to be a heavy black stain, then sand back or a flat-thin tint?

6 months, I don't envy you. I bet you'll be watching the dollar fluctuations throughout that time!

D.

Dave

I am going for a transparent black finish, not too dark and hopefully with silver/white highlights. The idea is to use a black tint on the maple only, this is then worked back to create the right tint, then the whole body is clear coated and high polished. Yep - it is a cool piece of maple, it really took my eye. :)

I am not going for wood pup covers on this bass, the idea is more stealth than flash. The top is very interesting so I want too make this the "focal point" and black pups should blend in well. I am having chrome knobs and bridge which will lift the silver/white from the maple. All of this is contrasted with a very plain maple board and chrome tuners. Sorta retro/funky/chic :huh:

Regards

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...