Mike lull basses vs Warwick dolphin bass

ziggydolphinboy

hi everyone,
youve prob seen my posts on here,
i sem o have 3 decent basses
jazz 4 usa plus.
warwick sn 5 string dolphin
early thumb 6.
on my recent for sale post i noticed that the jazz and the thumb got interest and the dolphin sn didnt,
was cotemplating keeping the 4 and the 6 nd maybe changing the 5.
are mike lull basses the nuts and will it blow my 5 away?
many thanks
ziggy.

I've not long bought the 4 string version of the Dolphin SN and found it a cracking bass. Is there any other reason you would want to sell or change your 5. As with alot of the "odd" shaped basses they are not everyones cup of tea but that shouldn't be a reason for getting a different 5 string. If you like how it sounds and plays, keep it. I don't know anything about the Mike Lull basses so can't comment on how they sound compared to the Warwick.

yeah true man,
im always comented on at gigs how lovely the 5 looks and with the piezo it sounds awesome,
just getting pressure from the missus! about selling one before i buy another!!!
shame it dont work with her with shoes and bags eh!
but nothings movina atthe moment so i coulndt sell it anyway.
i bought it for £810.00!! of a getleman from ebay so am begrugded to get rid of it.
welll see eh!!

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='263783' date='Aug 16 2008, 11:03 PM']hi everyone,
youve prob seen my posts on here,
i sem o have 3 decent basses
jazz 4 usa plus.
warwick sn 5 string dolphin
early thumb 6.
on my recent for sale post i noticed that the jazz and the thumb got interest and the dolphin sn didnt,
was cotemplating keeping the 4 and the 6 nd maybe changing the 5.
are mike lull basses the nuts and will it blow my 5 away?
many thanks
ziggy.[/quote]

I don't think any bass will categorically blow away any other bass; it's all personal preference. I've played all sorts of boutique basses that I have absolutely no time for, and several that I've thought were amazing. I've played lots of cheap basses I've had no time for either, and yet have also played several of those that are amazing. It's all about what suits you. You need to try an instrument before you can judge it, as it's all about how it fits [i]your[/i] body, hands and ears.

[quote]I don't think any bass will categorically blow away any other bass; it's all personal preference. I've played all sorts of boutique basses that I have absolutely no time for, and several that I've thought were amazing. I've played lots of cheap basses I've had no time for either, and yet have also played several of those that are amazing. It's all about what suits you. You need to try an instrument before you can judge it, as it's all about how it fits your body, hands and ears.[/quote]

I would 2nd that, also there is nothing worse that selling a bass to fund another only to find it is no better or worse than the one you sold (I know I've done it). The way things are with the market you might not get what you want for your bass, so it might be worth waiting until it picks up (if it ever does).

Mike Lull basses are a very Jazz-like bass mate, the one at the gallery has a very rude sound which i love!!!

They're the nuts in my opinion as far as super Jazzes are concerned!!! But i would think they're extremely different to the Dolphin's though mate, and Warwicks in general!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='263867' date='Aug 17 2008, 11:03 AM']Mike Lull basses are a very Jazz-like bass mate, the one at the gallery has a very rude sound which i love!!!

They're the nuts in my opinion as far as super Jazzes are concerned!!! But i would think they're extremely different to the Dolphin's though mate, and Warwicks in general![/quote]

Mike builds a really nice instrument. whether it will 'blow away' another bass is really personal preference. I almost always give the edge to a hand-made bass over a factory bass, but then I'm a bit jaded.

kfh