Why become a member? ×

NBD - Yammy love!

Dave_the_bass

I've made no secret that my go to, main, bass is a Yamaha RBX270J. It's got a hipshot extender and a babicz bridge but apart from that it's as standard as the day it left the factory wearing it's Yellow Natural Satin finish.

Tomorrow I will be collecting my new bass. I was browsing eBay and have found myself purchasing a Yellow Natural Satin Yamaha RBX270J :)

Ever since the day I accidentally bought (I decided that the person who had already bid wasn't having it for starting price and that's all they'd put on as their highest bid) my first 270J I've never looked back.

The BBOT bridge struck me as a bit flimsy so replaced that with a babicz that I picked up from the market place on here and the tone really came to life. It didn't have the sustain increase that people tout as being a reason for fitting a high mass bridge, but it did allow the mid range to really sing.

The new one is in line for some upgrades and customisation over the next few months.

Plans are as follows:

Re-wiring - I don't really use the pots for infinite variation so selector switches will be used instead.
New Bridge - babicz - black
New tuners - hipshot ultra lite - black
New strap buttons - Jim Dunlop straplocks
Custom pyrography artwork and clear lacquer refinish on the body
Probably finished off with a set of DR Black Beauties.

After the work it will look as good as it sounds for metal! :D

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1424432759' post='2696213']
Looks like Yamaha are discontinuing all the RBX basses, seems odd and a shame as for me, I've always held them up as the best value starter basses out there.

Hope they're just updating the line...
[/quote]

That's why I'm buying them all! :D