Why become a member? ×

Slave combo or new cab?

A9000

I recently purchased an Ashdown MAG 420 115 combo to replace an old Laney HCM160 I've had for about 10 years.

After playing with the new amp a bit in practice it seems a bit down in volume, so I've been weighing up 2 options:

1) Use the old Laney amp as a slave via the FX send/return channels

or

2) Buy a new matching Ashdown cab (either 1x15 or 2x10)

I tried option 1 for the first time last night, but didn't seem to get too much more volume (albeit without having messed with all the settings) despite the theoretically extra c.170W (I know this wasn't going to double the volume or anything like that but I expected a little more)

So having tried option 1 and not being too satisfied with the result (both amps on 75% volume/output, gain 50%), will I see much benefit from buying a matching cab? And will I see a bigger step up if I use a different speaker config i.e. 2x10 instead of another 1x15?

Btw I'm not wedded to the idea of only getting an Ashdown cab, happy to get another but would preferably spend <£300

Rig:
Ashdown Rootmaster MAG 420 combo 1x15 (speaker rated 250W)
Laney HCM160 combo 1x15 (speaker rated 250W) - 10 years old so I imagine it has lost some power

Potential purchases:
Ashdown MAG 1x15 cab (250W)
Ashdown MAG 2x10 cab (300W)

I would have expected a significant boost in volume from your "slave" set-up. It sounds like something has gone wrong. Is the Laney on it's own fairly loud? And working? And you plugged the effects send from the ashdown into the effects return on the laney?

I would try plugging the effects send from the ashdown into the front end of the laney. Yes, you have two pre-amps working, but maybe the effects send from the ashdown isn't hot enough to drive the laney

I would say that the Laney is just as loud as the Ashdown on its own but it does tend to get quite distorted on high volumes & gains.

Yeah, I've taken the FX send of the Ashdown to the FX return of the Laney. The Laney definitely is working and outputting sound, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as strong as when run on its own (feels about 30% volume with limited testing)

Is that safe?

I think you might be right in that the output from the Ashdown FX send is too low for the Laney

a matching cab would be more efficient. Personally, I always try to make do with what I have. If I had two 15" combos, I would have thought running them both together would be beastly! Try effects send into the front end of the Laney

Failing that, if you have a pedal with two outputs (lots of tuners, delays, reverbs etc have them) you could use both amps as usual

I'm wondering whether the pre-amp of the Rootmaster suffers from the same problem as the old LG's - low output. The cure on the LG was to use some kind of boost pedal in the effects loop.

It'd be rather strange if it is the problem as Ashdown seem to have sorted this with the Mibass series (I don't remember anyone complaining they were quiet). It might be worth having a word the place you bought it (assuming it is new) or shoot Ashdown an email explaining the situation - their customer service is excellent.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1423767882' post='2688871']
You may not be driving the other amp hard enough via the FX send/return. Are there line out/ins you can try?
[/quote]
Unfortunately not, these seem to be the only outputs to use and I'm a bit wary about sending a line level output to an instrument level input. I've not messed around with all the settings though so I'm going to have a play with it.

I do have a dual band compressor pedal which I could use as a way of boosting the signal, or an old ART tube pre-amp (might need to replace the tube). I'll see if that makes a difference.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1423770933' post='2688926']
I'm wondering whether the pre-amp of the Rootmaster suffers from the same problem as the old LG's - low output. The cure on the LG was to use some kind of boost pedal in the effects loop.

It'd be rather strange if it is the problem as Ashdown seem to have sorted this with the Mibass series (I don't remember anyone complaining they were quiet). It might be worth having a word the place you bought it (assuming it is new) or shoot Ashdown an email explaining the situation - their customer service is excellent.
[/quote]

Yeah, my thoughts too as I'd not seen any reviews of the head pick up any issues along these lines - tbh it could easily be something to do with the Laney rather than the Ashdown.

I think long term I will buy a matching cab anyway since they're fairly cheap (seen them for about £200) but was hoping in the short term to save a bit of cash and re-use the Laney, as it doubt it has any real resale value.

I did buy a new kettle lead to power the Laney so I need to do some more testing to see that everything is working properly but it seemed to be powered alright when I was using it.