Why become a member? ×

Generations

anaxcrosswords

I seem to be posting quite a bit of stuff today – tbh I’ve got some brain freeze as regards my normal work so I’m just relaxing while the synapses try to become active again. Anyway, here’s another one…
She’s only 15, but my daughter now has a Fender Squier Jazz bass, an acoustic bass (some cheap thing, but it’s only so she can practice without making noise) and a rather lovely Ibanez semi-acoustic 6-string. She’s putting plenty of effort into both, but when she goes to uni in a year or so she’ll be forming a band and wants to be the bassist. It goes without saying that I’m full of fatherly pride.
Do you have offspring who are following/have followed you into the dark world of 4 strings?

My step daughter decided that she wanted to learn the bass at 15. We bought her an Epi EB-0, one of the short scale jobbies.

She did pretty well with it and I taught her quite a few bits- We were lucky that just after I had taught her it, Killing in the Name of hit the charts with all of the X factor kerfuffle.

She did music at GCSE getting a B, but never really fell in love in the way I did.

I sold the bass to a mate about 3 months ago after cleaning the dust off.. She is 19 now.

Much disappointed

I passed on a couple of basses that I no longer needed to a niece when she got into bass playing, eventually forming a band with mates and did a plenty of gigs, went to see them once when I visited family up North. She eventually moved on to lead vox and someone else took over on bass, I suspect they also then 'acquired' the basses. Sadly she hasn't carried on with it and a few years later she's not involved with music at all. No idea if the basses still exist but I'll never need them back and they were heavy Fender copies that my back probably wouldn't want me going anywhere near now.

I tend to think that if you're trying to get children really hooked on making music then you're often better starting with classical instruments.

There are very few opportunities for 14 year olds to get gigs (or even just to play with others) on bass guitar or electric guitar. School music is very classical oriented, there's loads of chances to get involved in structured, organised live music.

Get them the music bug. Then point them in the right direction once they're smitten ;-)

Not to say you shouldn't encourage them to play bass from a young age - just that you should maybe encourage them to play bass in addition to something more school music friendly!