Why become a member? ×

Musicman Basses & LED's

WhiteNGold

[quote name='WhiteNGold' timestamp='1423251792' post='2682903']
I'm interested to know if the fretboard needs to be removed to install them...my PDN Stingray has a lacquered neck & fretboard join so that worries me...
[/quote]

If Martin Simms does it, then no, the fretboard isn't removed.

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1423335886' post='2683720']
In the real world LEDs are unnecessary, from a playing point of view at least.It seems crass (and rather uncool) to be so focussed on flashy appearances.
[/quote]

If you're gonna be a twat, then wear a big hat!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1423304335' post='2683236']
What actually is the purpose of LED's on a bass? Do they have a purpose at all ..or are they just bling?

They don't seem to be common with pro's or many big name players. I have never even played a bass with any fitted in 35yrs of playing.
[/quote]

They are bling, but some people think they will be able to play better with them.

Nowt wrong with bling. But they are bling.

Absolutely - that white bass is a complete tarts bass. You don't have to turn all the LEDs on - you can just have the side lights... or turn them all off as Pete correctly says. That bass was ordered especially for the gigs that I am doing. Lots of functions and weddings where stuff like that is seen as a bit of fun. Being on a completely dark stage with just the LEDs on does get people interested - the LEDs are definitely for the audience and not for me.

As I said earlier, pub gigs and this bass are probably not appropriate.

Can I play better with LEDs on? Absolutely not. If you can't do it on a bass without LEDs, a LED loaded bass isn't going to help you!

It's all about the right time and place. (Some may argue that there is never an appropriate time and place!!)