Why become a member? ×

Help!

Bassmurf

Can anyone help?
I've recently changed the strings on my Fender Geddy Lee from the 45-105 Fender strings to a set of 45-105 DRs' - the other strings are fine but it appears that when I play a powerchord high up (say for instance an F on the D string and a C on the Gstring) the note from the G seems to be out a little out.
When I changed the strings I changed them one at the time which when I owned a Precision seemed to work ok!
Any ideas?

Cheers

Dan

Like the uncaring ursine says, sounds as if you simply need to adjust the bridge. Test the intonation of the 12th fret harmonic against the fretted note (make sure not to pull the string laterally when you fret it) for each of the two string. At least one of them will be out. Slacken that string and move it's bridge contact using the screws in the tailpiece so that the vibrating length of the string is lengthened if the fretted note is sharp, and shortened if it is flat (only a couple of rotations at first). Tune up again and test it out. Repeat as necessary.

Edited by danlea

[quote name='Bassmurf' post='260734' date='Aug 12 2008, 12:01 PM']Can anyone help?
I've recently changed the strings on my Fender Geddy Lee from the 45-105 Fender strings to a set of 45-105 DRs' - the other strings are fine but it appears that when I play a powerchord high up (say for instance an F on the D string and a C on the Gstring) the note from the G seems to be out a little out.
When I changed the strings I changed them one at the time which when I owned a Precision seemed to work ok!
Any ideas?

Cheers

Dan[/quote]

Yeh - if you change your strings you need to check the intonation. Even if it's the same make/gauge strings.

That thing about changing one string at a time is nonsense. Whip 'em off, give it a clean, and put 'em back :)

Edited by thepurpleblob