Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BG250 input 'gain'

Guest MoJo

I gigged the BG250-115 for the second time last night and something came to light that concerned me slightly and I just wanted to check that this is a BG250 characteristic and that I haven't got a problem.
I always set the input 'gain' by turning it up while playing deliberately hard until the clip light starts to flash and then backing it off a touch. I did this last night and, with my passive P-bass, the gain was between 6 & 7. I'd loaded the Spectracomp toneprint into my amp and had the control at 12 o' clock. During the bass break in 'Hot Legs', I noticed my tone was fuzzy. I backed the gain down to 5 and turned up the Master and it cleaned up.
Why was I getting this 'fuzz' when the clip light is not illuminating. Is it the Spectracomp? I didn't think I was driving the front end that hard. Is this normal for a BG250 or do I need to take a trip to PMT? The amp is only a couple of weeks old.