Why become a member? ×

Spoke Wheel Truss Rod worn threads? help needed please!!!

Fretless Bass

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I'm having a problem with one of my basses that has a spoke wheel truss rod at the bottom of the neck. The first couple of threads on the truss rod nut look worn and are not gripping the spoke wheel. The threads on the spoke wheel seem to be fine. I cant adjust the truss rod and its a pity because everything else on the bass is perfect.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Does anybody know of a tool tool i can buy to rethread the truss rod nut?[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]i know stewmac have this tool but there must be a cheaper way of doing it [/font][/color]

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Truss_Rods/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit.html"]http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/To ... e_Kit.html[/url]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]any help/advice would be really appreciated! [/font][/color]

From the pic's I'd say the thread on the end of the rod is 'buggered' (a technical term) :rolleyes: the only possible repair is to re-cut a smaller diameter thread & fit a matching spoke wheel. May be easier to fit a new rod :(

If it's a dual action trussrod then it should just pull out and be fairly easy to replace, But if it's a standard rod (which it looks like) it will be anchored at the headstock end and replacement is a major job. One option would be to cut a recess in the neck heel as in the pic below. This might give the spoke wheel some fresh threads to grip.

You can always have a standard truss rod nut fitted - if you need to remove a fair bit of material to re-thread the truss rod. As it Is, I'd try a tap - but you mightn't get far enough in - hence the special stu mac tool. You might be able to sharpen up the existing threads with a cut down standard tap - essentially making a tool like the one stu mac sells - how well it works depends on the skill of the person using it.

The good news is that due to the truss rod using the wheel nut style adjustment - it's way more exposed than the typical "standard" nut type. Chances are it can be saved - but I'd take it to an experienced tech or luthier. What is the bass? If the truss rod needs replacing a new neck might be ideal.