Why become a member? ×

2 x BG250's

Guest MoJo

I currently play in two gigging bands. One is a pub covers trio and, for this band, I've recently bought a TC Electronics BG250-115 to avoid the back-breaking load in/out of my 93lb Peavey BAM210. The other band is a loud rock covers band. Two guitarists with Marshall / Hughes & Kettner half stacks.

Yesterday, My wife asked, "Why don't you use that (indicating the BG250) in both bands?" She also added "And sell the other one" but I chose to ignore that :lol:
I replied, "That (pointing at the BG250) won't be loud enough for the Kindred (Rock covers)". Her question got me thinking though, about adding a second BG250 underneath, as they're relatively light and inexpensive and using it as a powered slave from the DI out on the first.
I can't imagine anyone has done this but one never knows. How much extra perceived volume am I likely to obtain by adding a second BG250-115?

Cheers

I tried something similar using the DI out into a keyboard amp when I had a BG250 - it kinda worked but we experienced some slightly odd phase-cancelling kind of sounds, may have been the venue (or me!) but I didn't particularly enjoy the sound.

What about selling it (argh!) and getting a BH500 and two cabs - there WAS a buy-one-get-one-free deal on the cabs if bought with the head, don't know if that's still going? The BH500 is a great head and with two of the 2x12s makes a very nice and still portable setup.

Have you considered the bg250-210? The 210 configuration would match the bam210, though with a bit less power.

I have a bc212 and it's as light as a feather, pair that with a bh500 and you'll be loud and lightweight.

Edited by planer

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1420622267' post='2651311']
Have you considered the bg250-210? The 210 configuration would match the bam210, though with a bit less power.

I have a bc212 and it's as light as a feather, pair that with a bh500 and you'll be loud and lightweight.
[/quote]

I run the BAM210 with a PRO115 underneath to get the full 500w so a BG250-210 would be considerably quieter. The BH500 / BC212 combination would probably work well but that would mean selling the BAM210, the PRO115 and the two week old BG250 and it's not really a sellers market at the moment. I was looking at what I can do with what I've got rather than sell the lot (at a loss) and buy a new rig but thanks for your suggestion.

It is, IMO the worst thing about the BG250 - if it had an extension cab out (and matching 1x15) then I'd still be using one.

Instead and until my BH500 is repaired, my rig will be a BG250 (2x8) into my newly acquired (tomorrow, god willing) Barefaced cab!

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1420629909' post='2651429']
It is, IMO the worst thing about the BG250 - if it had an extension cab out (and matching 1x15) then I'd still be using one.[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1420629909' post='2651429']
Instead and until my BH500 is repaired, my rig will be a BG250 (2x8) into my newly acquired (tomorrow, god willing) Barefaced cab!
[/quote]

ooooo - I really want to know how the 2x8 sounds, please. Bizarrely, the BG250 2x8 combo is cheaper than the BH250 head in some places! Seems like a no-brainer to me.... especially as you can drop the head out with minimal effort!

• 3 weeks later...

They are discontinued now but I use a TC BG500 210 Combo. Can you find NOS or second hand anywhere? I paid £350 new from Andertons in 2013 It's a two man lift to carry it any distance but it is punchy and loud as hell. We are a 2 guitar loud rock covers band and it's never been past 4 on a gig so far.