Why become a member? ×

What bass to buy?

markdavid

I'll be buying a new bass soon , im looking to spend around 450-500 , not sure what to go for in that price range.
Im after a really deep fat bass sound with not much top end (think Jack Bruce from Cream , Jared Followill from Kings of Leon, Paul Mccartney - Beatles) must be passive and I will be stringing the bass with flats , the logical choice within that price range would be a Squier VM Tele or a Epiphone Thunderbird , however I cant help feeling that although those basses would do the job , I might be able to get something a little better within the price range as ive heard that the hardwear on these two basses is a little on the cheap side and im a little dubios about the quality of the pickups on the Epiphone, what do you think?

Edited by markdavid

I used a white Epi TB in a rock band for over a year. It was completely stock and completely fantastic, I loved it. I fully expected to have to upgrade the guts when I bought it, but I was wrong. It sounded immense straight out of the box, just a bit of a set up and it was ready to go. BIG thump from the stock pups no problem at all, great bass.

For your price range though, I personally would be looking for a second hand Precision, US or MIJ would fit the bill perfectly, and as a big fan of the Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder, I'd be thinking of dropping one of those into it for a [i]massive[/i] thumping tone.

Edit: or an Epiphone Jack Casady, that'd have a great tone for what you're after too I'd say, superb with flats.

Edited by Rayman