Why become a member? ×

Fender FSR AV 75 vs AV 74 Jazz bass

DanEly

So I've been gassing after a new jazz in natural, with a ash body and blocks and binding and I have found these two:

Fender American Vintage 74 and the Fender FSR American Vintage 75

From what I can tell the main differences lie in the necks, the 74 has a U shaped neck + 4 bolt whereas the 75 is armed with a modern C shape + 3 bolt. By the looks of the the 75 has a aged tinted finish?

Has anyone played either of these and can shed some more light on them? Particularly the FSR 75!

Ok lets confuse it even more....

Fender American Vintage 75ri - generally...natural with maple or rosewood, blocks binding, 3 bold neck 70's position. Brilliant

Fender American Vintage 74ri - the newer version released last year. I tried both in shops and preferred the '75.

Fender FSR USA 70's jazz bass.... special limited run in 2002 of a few thousand basses in custom colours and with some differences, for example I used to have a lake placid blue one, and it had an alder body. Very very good instruments and a bit different to the normal american vintage range.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1420125696' post='2645836']
Ok lets confuse it even more....

Fender American Vintage 75ri - generally...natural with maple or rosewood, blocks binding, 3 bold neck 70's position. Brilliant

Fender American Vintage 74ri - the newer version released last year. I tried both in shops and preferred the '75.

Fender FSR USA 70's jazz bass.... special limited run in 2002 of a few thousand basses in custom colours and with some differences, for example I used to have a lake placid blue one, and it had an alder body. Very very good instruments and a bit different to the normal american vintage range.
[/quote]

So where have all the 75 RI's gone, or am I being ignorant? they're not on the Fender website any more are they... Discontinued right?

What made you prefer the 75?

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1420126383' post='2645844']
So where have all the 75 RI's gone, or am I being ignorant? they're not on the Fender website any more are they... Discontinued right?

What made you prefer the 75?
[/quote] yeah - they replaced all the American Vintage series at the same time with different models.
I can't put my finger on what I preferred. the '74... just felt a bit cheap, thick varnish on the neck, and.... and I instantly disliked it - obviously thats all my highly personal opinion.
I've tried a few '75 and they've just struck me as very very nice basses that stacked up well against the sadowsky stuff the shop had in in terms of fitting and feel and I preferred the tone of the '75.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1420127547' post='2645863']
yeah - they replaced all the American Vintage series at the same time with different models.
I can't put my finger on what I preferred. the '74... just felt a bit cheap, thick varnish on the neck, and.... and I instantly disliked it - obviously thats all my highly personal opinion.
I've tried a few '75 and they've just struck me as very very nice basses that stacked up well against the sadowsky stuff the shop had in in terms of fitting and feel and I preferred the tone of the '75.
[/quote]

Interesting! I can't say I'm a fan of heavily varnished necks either, sounds like the '75 might be the one

It's all a matter of preference and opinion. No matter what people will say, somone will disagree. So....here's my experiece of 74RI and 75RI:

The 74RI is a great bass. I've only tried one example. I thought it was well built but the neck didn't feel anywhere near as good as the 75s I've owned and others I've tried. I didn't gig it so sound-wise I think it was good but my experience is limited.

My own 75RI stands up against any of the more expensive brands for build, quality of components and playablity. The sound is superb. The most impressive thing is the neck. It's slim and is simply the best neck of the many basses I've owned.

I'd go for the 75RI, mainly due to the neck but the 74RI is also a fine bass if the neck is to your liking.

The next post will most likely advise the opposite. :D

Frank.