Why become a member? ×

need help to find which model is this aria pro II

Gregdach

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]hi, (I'm sorry for my english I'm a little french who can't have answer in France )[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]So, My godfather gave me his old bass but I can't find which model [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]is this aria pro II, [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]how she cost, if it's a copy or not, or a prototype I don't know I cant find her on google ect I just find her in [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]a 1989 catalog of aria pro II product but not a the same name. And I want to know if i can put fret again (she is homemade fretless) [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]so [/font][color=#212121][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I need your help to enlighten me[/font][/color]
[color=#212121][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you ! [/font][/color]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#212121]Grégoire D. / France / Lyon.[/color][/font]
[attachment=179599:aria2.jpg]
[attachment=179601:IMG_2943 - copie.jpg]
[attachment=179603:IMG_2944.jpg]
[attachment=179604:IMG_2945.jpg]
[attachment=179597:aria 1.png]

Well, the model name on the truss rod cover says ASB-65, so that's the model. It looks pretty much identical to the IGB-65 you show in the advert. Maybe they changed the model numbers slightly for European/US/Japanese markets with tiny changes for each market.

Edit - it's a USA model, ASB-65, according to this Talkbass thread ......

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/identify-this-bass.832053/

[quote name='Gregdach' timestamp='1420023839' post='2644885']
Nice, thanks for the input. Do you have any further informations about it, is it any good ? I don't really know that brand of instruments. Thank you!
[/quote]

I'm afraid that I don't know much about it at all. It will not be a Matsumoku, Japan-made Aria though, but will have been made in Korea I think, once ARia moved their main manufacturing out of Japan in the late 80's. Probably a half decent instrument. If it plays well and sounds nice then it IS nice !

I can answer a couple of your questions Gregdach - it's a good-quality bass, it's an original design, and it's well worth keeping and re-fretting, in my opinion.

Does the bass have a serial number anywhere? As far as I know, the earliest IGBs (and presumably ASBs, since they appear to be identical) were MIJ & possibly Matsumoku. Matsumoku closed down in '87 but higher-end Aria products were, and still are MIJ, utilising other factories. I'd say it's quite likely this is a Japanese-made bass. It's interesting that this bass has the same bridge unit used on many MIJ Arias (including the SB series) since the late 70s.

I'm by no means an Aria expert however, I'd try dropping a PM to [b]noelk27[/b], who's set me straight about various Aria & MIJ-related facts in the past!

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

Thank you very much Bassassin for this answer rich of information . I hope that we will know more thanks to Noelk27 !
I looked for a serial number but I have found nothing and tomorrow I've got a rdv to stringed-instrument maker to CHECK my bass for re-fretting !
Grégoire,

Edited by Gregdach

[quote name='Gregdach' timestamp='1420506718' post='2650205']
I looked for a serial number but I have found nothing and tomorrow invente got a rdv to stringed-instrument maker to CHECK my bass for re-fretting !
Grégoire,
[/quote]

It's likely that the serial number was on a little paper sticker on the back of the headstock & fell off a long time ago, however... [u]some[/u] Arias have the serial stamped into the fretboard around the last fret, but if yours was sanded down after the frets were removed, that may have vanished too.

Over here, the Bass Gallery charge £180 (€230) for re-fretting a lined fretless, so that should give you an idea of how much it **might** cost.

Pete.