Why become a member? ×

Question PreAmps & Dark Glass Pedals

Danthearsonist327

Hi guys, newbie here :) first real post (other than in the intro section) and I've got a couple of qustions.

Firstly, I am wanting to upgrade my rig but downgrade in size weight and general portability. I was wondering what everyone's general opinion is in using pre-amp pedals? And whether you think it's better to use a pre amp pedal DI into a power amp (or a norml amp, bypassing the amps EQ) or to use one as a stomp box straight into the front of the head, then you could use the amp head to tweak and hone the sound even further. However I have read a lot of people describing the amps EQ as "woolly" are all amp EQs woolly in comparison to a straight pre amp/poweramp setup?

Also I am hoping to use a dirt box in my rig either way, originally I was looking at the SansAmp BDDI but the sound seem a bit unspectacular, then I stumbled across some demos of the Dark Glass bk3 which seems to sound insane. I am leaning toward that pedal now. However it doesn't come with a DI like the sansamp does. So depending on the general consensus of the first question could dictate whether I get a b3k or splash the cash for a b7k which has a DI.

Anyone have experience with the b3k or b7k and have any opinions/experience of them?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Edited by Danthearsonist327

I had similar dilemma, B3K + pre or B7K ? I went for B3K + 3Leaf Enabler so I could go from clean (with effects) to grit via A/B loop ... can't do that with B7K alone ... I also have a powered 212 cab so pedalboard to cab but could also go poweramp to any normal cab.
I tend not to tweak the sound much so a basic EQ is fine for me .... B3K is the best grit/dirt pedal I've tried for bass tho I haven't tried that many .... the other 'best' growl I've gotten (& it was one of those eye openers) was with a cranked Gallien Kreuger 400RB head (700 worked as well but was too loud lol)

Haven't gigged this pedal preamp setup yet but am happy so far ... gonna record it on Friday in a studio so excited to hear the results.

I did consider a Tech21 VT DI but would again have same issue with needing separate clean/dirt channels.

If you do go the preamp pedal - poweramp route just make sure you have enough signal to drive the amp (input sensitivity etc)

My vote is Darkglass !

Cheers for the info mate :)

Yes I'm getting very excited about getting one now! I've watched countless demos and it seems like people get some nasty tones out of it (that's a good thing).

I don't know too much about power amps to be honest I'm going to have to do some research into them. Be interested to hear from other pre/power setup users and their recommendations.

The only reason I figured going into front of an amp may be beneficial would be so that I could find my tone with the b3k and then if the sound is lacking in a live setting, the stage height, room size etc requires a slightly different sound, I could adjust the amp heads EQ. Or is mixing EQ settings of the amp with the stomp box a bad idea?

Sounds like a good idea to me, guessing most amps will fit the bill but I can't comment on that as I don't have an amp at the mo. Maybe some others can chime in here & recommend a suitable amp to pair with a B3K ....?

Edited by sifi2112

B3K all the way unless you need your overdriven/distorted sound heavily EQ'd, then the B7K is the one you need.

Both are great pieces of gear.

Regarding amp's to pair up with the B3K, I think that the pedal adds to your core tone so any good amp will work IMO.
I mainly use the B3K with a Markbass Little Rocker 500 + Aguilar DB112's setup and it is a killer.

Edited by Byo

That is very good to hear Byo as coinscidently I just got a Little Rocker 500 lmao!

Well at least nobody seems to be heavily against the idea of pedal to amp head anyway.. I guess it's not as bigger an issue as I read into after all.

I trumped for the mark bass in the end because mark bass seem to have a pretty neutral sound which would be good to colour with the pedal.

Lmao wooks that pre amp does look the bomb-dig to be fair!